Homebuilt injector tester ?

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope to get an order in the to Mcmaster-carr this week. My plane is to put togehter the grease gun type . What fittings(s) do I need to get to fit it up up the Ford IDI injectors ? - Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think if you can get your hands on an old injector line, that would be your best bet in making an injector connect.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are none of these engines in the nearest junkyards . It would be easier for me to buy the fittings that would fit from Mcmaster.com if there is something that would work .

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
Good idea on the home made tester I made one for ***** and grins I used a porta power i had and the 3/8 pipe thread quick connect a 3/8 tee a 5000psi gauge and to hook up the injector I took a 3/8 pipe cut it off slid an old injector line inside and welded it held up to over 5000 psi without exploding but I was getting tense when the gauge went around back to 1000psi I tested some old idi injectors poped at around 1800-2000 psi and had a straight stream Is that normal and can they be adjusted like some other injectors. I also tested some 401 ford direct injectors to around 4200 psi they pop and shoot out 4 jets i could adjust them from 2000- over 5000 psi, are they different because thet're di.

Attachments

• injectors 001.jpg
    injectors 001.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 33
  • injectors 002.jpg
    injectors 002.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 22
  • injectors 003.jpg
    injectors 003.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 30

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Just a quick heads up, theese are on sale at Walmart for $19.88:

Attachments

• hauler 041.jpg
    hauler 041.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 17

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
rkpatt said:
There are none of these engines in the nearest junkyards . It would be easier for me to buy the fittings that would fit from Mcmaster.com if there is something that would work .

The closest thing I see is under "hydraulic fittings". But until someone actually tries it I'm just not sure. I picked up some used ones at the surplus store and I'll try one tomorrow when I get home from the gym.

79 300sd

Reaction score
krawlr said:
The closest thing I see is under "hydraulic fittings". But until someone actually tries it I'm just not sure. I picked up some used ones at the surplus store and I'll try one tomorrow when I get home from the gym.

I'll try to identify a fitting next week, unless somebody beats me to it. I'll have to pull an injector line off the flatbed and go to the hydraulic shop to identify the correct size/style needed. I'm only set up for mercedes injectors and I'm sure that the ford are a different thread size.

hugeredford,

What fluid are you using to test with? You will get a narrow stream with oil.

Alldata says that the opening pressure should be 1875 +/- 75 for a new injector and 1425 psi minimum, for a 1988 model. They can disassembled and shims changed to alter the pop pressure.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesel pump shop that is nearby does nort have time to test them while I wait . The other shops are too far away . Besides, my neihbor and myself have other diesels that we tinker with . That's why I would like to have an inexpensive injector pop tester .

typ4 said:
The pump shop I use tests for free and you can stand there and watch if they are able to do it riight then. They will do it for anyone and the prices they sell at are very fair. Another Diesel Performance shop here in town will do it for free also but he is a one man shop so I either flip him a few or offer and he usually declines, iI do send him some work tho. If a shop wont let you watch the pattern go somewhere else, some like to sell parts and I have never seen a full set bad enough unless contaminated or very high miles. my 2 c
russ

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be using the one I put together on my Ford and old Mercedes . It sure would nice to get all of the fittings at one place ( like www.mcmaster.com) and not have to hit and miss search the junkyards for an injector line and fitting for the tester ( both vehicles ). -Thanks for your help .

79 300sd said:
I'll try to identify a fitting next week, unless somebody beats me to it. I'll have to pull an injector line off the flatbed and go to the hydraulic shop to identify the correct size/style needed. I'm only set up for mercedes injectors and I'm sure that the ford are a different thread size.

hugeredford,

What fluid are you using to test with? You will get a narrow stream with oil.

Alldata says that the opening pressure should be 1875 +/- 75 for a new injector and 1425 psi minimum, for a 1988 model. They can disassembled and shims changed to alter the pop pressure.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Now ya got me all curious and I had to look.

Walmart bottle jack-Canada
Sears floor jack- China
HF press-China (wouldn't have bought it if someone else in town had one)

I promise my engine hoist won't come with orange paint!

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Almost forgot, the hydraulic fittings did not work. I think used injector lines are the only choice we have. -cuss Cough 'em you hoarding bastiges! LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortuneatly Mel

If you zoom into the picture its made in China

LOL I wasn't worried about where it was made. I was making the assumption that you can't buy a non-chinese bottle jack.