Historical/Technical Info on the 6.9/7.3IDI

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The reason I asked is what has already been stated. I'm looking to "simplify." I've never been real fond of electronics in vehicles. I"m also thinking about selling my '01 PSD, adn the thought has occurred to me to go with an older mechanically injcted diesel truck. I'd like to know cab and chassis configurations and such. What about fuel mileage (I know that's a relative question, but what can one expect form these trucks)?

I'd also like to know the capabilities of thses trucks. What mods are available for these trucks and what power levels can be attained? I know that Kennedy Diesel, one of the big supporters of The Diesel Page, did a buildup of a 6.5L GM diesel to see if it could hang with the "big boys" and it did surprisingly well. Just wondering how well an ol 6.9 would do?

Keep the info coming fellas.

Brian [><]

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mileage can range from 10mpg to 20mpg or better, depending on gearing and driving habits. I've gotten 23MPG with the Moose Truck, and as little as 12 with the Lady Moose. They tend to do best when you keep the RPM's below 2000, so gearing is a major factor. As for performance, Ken up at DPS-Performance in Michigan is the one who seems to be turning the biggest numbers, and his site is chocked full of mods for the IDI's. Keep your eyes on Frieght Train, as he is trying to build up a monster using Ken's stuff. To see any real numbers, you have to decompress the engine, which is usually getting into more than most guys want to do, but since these engines were not really built with a turbo in mind, you've got to make room for the air to get beyond 300hp. We have heard of 600hp IDI's, but not as daily drivers.

Rob, if you could send me a copy of that puppy, I'll be sure to use some of it in the article.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
This is from my dyno run (The Enterprise)

1991 F350 7.3 Banks Turbo, E4OD, Injection pump bumped up a shade (understatement), straight piped, sucking under hood air, clam shell removed from around air cleaner (ran her just as I did down the highway)

Did the run in 4th gear with 4.10 rear gear. I wanted to see what my numbers were when I was pulling the TT not 3rd gear where I hardly ever pulled.

HP = 201.3 @ 3000rpm
TQ = 387.6 @ 2400rpm

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Don't leave out the Van IDI's. I have some 92 van brochures i can scan if if you want.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric, if you could. I forgot for a moment that the E and F series were in seperate brochures.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, Mel made reference to Ford not building their own diesel engine. Why hasn't Ford ever made one? Even the Ford marine diesels are from across the water and made by someone else.

Eric, if you scan it, I would love to get a copy.

Last edited:

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Neat thread, It seems that the ford 6.9/7.3 and gm 6.2/6.5 share a similar background of sorts. At least ford realized that they needed to upgrade a bit sooner that gm did...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPR, I'm not sure why Ford never got into building diesels. I can only guess that they never saw them selling them in sufficient quantity to justify the R&D and tooling. Once they got in bed with IH, it was easier just to go with the flow.

As long as I have one representative brochure from each body style era, I think I would be OK. Scan away. :)

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Here is the 93 commercial truck brochure. Its in a zip format, and its over 9 megs, so be warned dial up users.

Mel, I'll only be able to leave this up for a week or so cuz its hogging all my online storage. So let me know when its safe to pull it down.

Also, I have omitted a few pages that don't pertain to our trucks to save on space.

93 commercial trucks brochure.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info guys!

Mel you make it sound like 87 is a special year! I think so myself LOL

Now seriously this information will be excellent in article format to point new members and those interested in these great old trucks toward.

So, by comparing Travis' dyno numbers (HP = 201.3 @ 3000rpm
TQ = 387.6 @ 2400rpm) and Banks numbers there is quite a difference. Banks claims about 240 HP and 460 ft-lb torque for non-wastegate and 260 HP and 503 ft-lb torque for the wastegated unit. It states these are taken at the rear wheels. Do they just exagerate that much or is there another explanation for the difference?:confused:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Ok, I've scanned in and zipped up everything that i found useful.

2 van brochures, 1992 vans, and 1992 club wagons. Also, i scanned in the infamous cavitation letter sent out by ford warning about putting FW-15 into the coolant or else.... also, i scanned in my window sticker so you can see how much the diesel engine option was and all the other options too. The van started out as an E-250, but then with all the add ons, including the diesel, it became an E-350.

http://www.samantha.cc/vanstuff.zip

Rob, if you want, i can host that file for you.

Mel, let me know if you need anything else. If you want, i can pretty much list all the changes that vans have had since 1992 to present. Such as cosmetic changes and that sort of thing. Anyways, goodluck.:)

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tristan
So, by comparing Travis' dyno numbers (HP = 201.3 @ 3000rpm
TQ = 387.6 @ 2400rpm) and Banks numbers there is quite a difference. Banks claims about 240 HP and 460 ft-lb torque for non-wastegate and 260 HP and 503 ft-lb torque for the wastegated unit. It states these are taken at the rear wheels. Do they just exagerate that much or is there another explanation for the difference?:confused:

In the actual brochure that I recieved from Banks, it states the same numbers, but points out that these are flywheel numbers. So on the web where it says RWHP, I think its a mistake. It should say Flywheel hp.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Originally posted by yaric008
Rob, if you want, i can host that file for you.

Thats not a bad idea Eric. I'll send you a PM in the next week or so, and we can work it out.

Thanks,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86