Historical/Technical Info on the 6.9/7.3IDI

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
OK fellas. I'm going to admit that I know little or nothing about the 6.9IH / 7.3IDI motors. I'd like to know about them more. When did they first come out? How much power? Turbo or N/A? Changes to the motor? When was the swap to the IDI? What was it's power level? In a nutshell, can ya'll give me some info on the history of these engines?

Thanks,

Brian [><]

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
1983-1987 6.9 liter
1987-1994 7.3 liter non turbo 160-183hp (if memory serves)
1993-1994 7.3 liter turbo'd 195hp

1983 - First Ford Diesel. (Yes folks they made Ford diesels before the 1999MY) These first runs included the A code injectors and the engine is classified if you will as the A series (because it's the first).
1984 ushered in slighly more compression up from 20:1 to 21:1 also changes to the injectors (Code B injectors and up)
1984 also ushered in the 2nd generation of the glow plug controller (changes in the after glow design)
1992 ushered in the serp belt set up
1987 ushered in the solid state glow plug controller.
1992 included the Perfomance and Emmisions fuel injection pump and injectors (E Code).
1993 turbo'd engines debuted with a larger wrist pin (30mm vs 33mm)
1993 also introduced the turbo injectors (G code) not really sure if they are worth the effort.
1993 also introduced a slight more heat resistant valve set up, and naturally different pistons.

1983 - 1986 C6 auto trans, t-19 std offered.
1987-1988-9 C6 offered as option
1987-1994 E4OD auto trans offered and ZF was the std shift.

Whew... it's been a while since I have tried to yank this information up from the back of my mind, I'm sure I have forgotten tons of stuff but that should keep ya chewing on it for while.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Well done Travis! (for a goat guy anyhow LOL) Only thing I would add is for the entire run 1983 - 1994 the engine had no computers. All mechanically controlled, that’s a big part of the following for these motors. Simple, simple, simple to troubleshoot / work on.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
OK with that said, what year would you all say is the "best" year(s) for these trucks? I know with the Dodge guys the '94 to '98 12v trucks are considered the pinnacle. Is there a similar following for the Ford offerings?

Brian [><]

P.S. Thanks for the info guys.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
well if you had to pick it's a half dozen of one 6 of another type of thing...

Because of these reasons.. (which I did forget to mention until you said pick) :thanks: for reminding me...

The 6.9 is less likely to succomb to cavitation (thicker cylinder walls because the bore is smaller - sorry I can't remember off the top of my head what the bore/stroke info it - used to know it but...) but with the 6.9 the head bolts are smaller diameter than compared to the 7.3 (1/2inch - 7/16inch). The 7.3 which is very likely to cavitate because of the thin cylinder walls (larger bore - not much webbing to support it).

But I would say most guys would choose the 7.3 1993-1994 because of the larger wrist pins and better valves.

But really you can't pick out and say this one right here----> or these years are the best. Because there really isn't that big enough difference between them that made huge differences in longevity or power output. It's really hard to say...

I think though if pushed I would choose a 7.3 (any year) only because of the larger head bolts and the ablitiy to get a E4OD (lock up TC). Which brings in another entire conversation because so many people bash the E4OD but let me tell you out of all the guys here in the IDI Forums I was the hardest on his truck (rpms, driving style) and my E4OD was bullet proof.

But also with the 7.3 ZF tranny it brought in the Dual Mass Flywheel which is a problematic setup - but easy cheap fix.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Why do you ask Grasshopper? ;p said in my best oriential voice

Thinking of picking up another truck for ______. Maybe a project, or knock around farm truck?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Travis,

Since youre spilling the beans here tonight, what was stock HP on the 6.9?
Was the 6.9 and 7.3 block the same platform?
How much HP could a 6.9 produce with the garden varitey mods that we all do to our trucks?
What are some of those mods?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna jump in here, correct me if I am wrong as I had a late 6.9 (87) and now have a late 7.3 (93), the 6.9 was 175hp, 318 lbs torque and the 7.3 185hp, 338lbs torque. Thats not a big difference in HP and I always wondered why there was not more.

First year for the 6.9 - 1983
Last year for the 6.9 - 1987
By 1988 all production 7.3

6.9 - Max H.P. 175 Torque 318 ft. lb.
7.3 - Max H.P. 185 Torque 338 ft. lb.

6.9 max torque at 1800 RPM
7.3 max torque at 1600 RPM

Both max HP at 3300 RPM.

7.3 external identification variance from 6.9 - New fuel filter/fuel heater/water sparator, larger/taller cylinder head bolt bosses with ribs. Dual mass flywheel on 5spd.

Crankcase differences
Cylinder bore - 6.9 = 4.00"
Cylinder bore - 7.3 = 4.11"
Stroke for both - 4.18"
Top deck thickness - 6.9 = .500"
Top deck thickness - 7.3 = .560"
Oil drain Back holes - 6.9 = 3/8"
Oil drain Back holes - 7.3 = 7/16"

Cylinder head changes
Cylinder head bolts - 6.9 = 7/16"-14 UNC 5.25" long
Cylinder head bolts - 7.3 = 1/2" - 13 UNC 6" long
Cylinder head bolt washer 6.9 = .105" thick
Cylinder head bolt washer 7.3 = .134" thick

Head bolt torque -
6.9 with new bolts = 75ft. lbs.
6.9 with used bolts = 85ft. lbs.
7.3 new or used = 100ft. lbs.

Cylinder head gasket changes -
Fire ring I.D. 6.9 = 4.14"
Fire ring I.D. 7.3 = 4.22"
Gasket cutouts elimitated between cylinders on the 7.3 to eliminate cosmetic corrosion phenomenon.
Viton oil drain back sealing rings added to the 7.3 (also used in later versions of the 6.9 head gasket, then eliminated again).

Head design changes -
6.9 features "centered" glow plugs, while 7.3 are "off-center"
Injection nozzles have been retracted on the 7.3 .060" to facilitate Federal and state emission certs.

Precombustion chamber volume -
6.9 = 18.34 cm3
7.3 = 20.42 cm3 (increased only for emissions certs)

Precombusion chamber inserts are physically interchangable, however the throat has been redesigned to distinguish them apart, and the 7.3 prechamber cub has an embossed "88" on it.

Valve Stem -
The 7.3 valve stem oil sheild is larger to reduce hydrocarbon emissions. Intake and Exhaust sheilds have been color coded, even though they are identical and interchangeable.

Coolant passages -
The lower corner coolant passages on the cylinder head on the 7.3 have been plugged. This change is introduced to eliminate lower corner gasket coolant seepage during cold start engine warm-up. Mating passages in the block are also plugged. (could be why we hear more 7.3 overheating issues).

Exhaust valves - The 7.3 exhaust valve has had its alloy composition changed, with more nickel, chrome, and silver content, and decreased manganese content. The 7.3 valves may be used in the 6.9, but not the other way around.

Piston and ring sizes increased in accordance with bore changes. The 7.3 utilizes select fit pistons at the manufacturer. The engine is produced with A,B,C and D size pistons and cylinder bores. When re-using pistons, "A" pistons should go in "A" cylinders, and "B" pistons in "B" cylinders and so on. These letters are stamped on the pistons and the cylinder bores at the bottom of the bore when viewed from the crankshaft side. Service part pistons can be utilized in any bore, and are identified with an "S".

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll back fill with some additional history and politics. Gotta take you guys back to 1982 and earlier. Of course, not knowing your ages, I might even have to assume that some of you guys were not even born yet. :eek:

GM had introduced the converted 350 CID gas engine diesel in some of it's cars around 1980 or so. (I'm not a big GM fan, so my history here is pretty inacurate). These engines were fair sellers, but the sales were stiffeled by many problems that they had, and they were pulled off the market. GM recognized that they needed an original design, so they turned to Detroit Diesel which they owned at the time, to assist with a design for a replacement. This led to the development of the 6.2L, which was a significant improvement over the 350, but still not real great. GM had pretty much scared the car buying public away from diesels with the 350 fiasco, so the 6.2 was put in pickups in hopes that the commercial arena, which was already intimate with diesels, would pick it up and prove that it would work out. This led to limited sales to the general public. Ford had been watching all this with great interest, and when GM announced a diesel pickup, Ford had no choice but to respond. They knew that they could not field a diesel on their own, and needed to select an engine that had a proven track record. International Harvester had been using a motor developed for their school buses and small dump trucks and utility vehicles, and it was holding up well, so they struck a deal and started selling the IH 6.9L engine in pickups beginning with the aforementioned 1983 model year. The engine would not fit in a pickup as it was, so it was necessary to redesign the oil pan, air cleaner, and right side exhaust manifold, along with the fuel filter bracket and accessories in order to stuff it under the hood of a F-series truck. Because of the weight, you could only get the diesel in an F-250HD or higher. I ordered my F-250HD in April of 1983, and recieved it in July. It was the first Ford Diesel Pickup that my dealer had ever sold. It will turn 22 this year. Sales were light at first, but as the reputation grew, so did the sales. By 1986, there was not an ambulance, tow truck, roll back, or airport shuttle that wasn't 6.9 powered. Since I bought mine with the intent of keeping the milage low, I had an advantage. I got to watch what happened to the other ones. Several problems which would become well known started to spring up. Manual trucks were suffering from throw out bearing galling, causing high pedal effort and a multitude of clutch problems. The big problem though, was head gasket water seepage, caused by the head bolts relaxing and lifting the rear corners of the heads, which were running a little hotter thanks to the CDR valve feeding the back two cylinders a bit of oil. The head gaskets were subsequently redesigned 3 times. (for more on that, click HERE. The other problem with the 6.9's were the valve stem seals, which allowed the engines to consume a bit of oil. Other than that, they were mechanically sound engines. By 1986, arch rival GM had suffered at the hands of the 6.9, and they positioned themselves to release their new engine, the 6.5L. Ford saw this coming, and IH (now known as Navistar, since selling their farm division to rival Case, in 1985) moved to produce the 7.3. Some of the weaknesses in the 6.9 had been analyzed, and the final year of 6.9L production saw some interesting twists. They began to test the 7.3L glow plug system and drive train on the 6.9's! Consequently, there are a few 6.9's around that have things that are not normally found on them, such as the 7.3L glow plug system, dual mass flywheels, and 5 speed manual transmissions. 1987 was the change over year, and by 88 the 7.3L version was released. IH build this engine by boring out a 6.9, increasing the size of the headbolts, and makeing some other slight changes to address new EPA concerns that were coming out. What Ford didn't realize however, was that by boring out the cylinders, that would open the pandora's box of cylinder cavatation. Those who bought early 7.3's suffered the most, as their trucks began to fail in record numbers in major ways, and talks of class action law suits began. Ford did not address the cavitation issue, until the mid 90's when they began putting in supplimental coolant additive addendums to the users manual, and training their dealers on the issue. By 1994, Ford and Navistar had realized the error of their ways with the 7.3, and pressed for the introduction of the Powerstroke. GM however, had begun to turbo charge the 6.5L, and Ford needed to add turbo power to it's linup right away. This was addressed by getting turbo manufacture ATS, to begin supplying Navistar with turbo kits, that were applied at the Factory. So in 1993, you could get a NA or Turbo version of the 7.3IDI. However, press hype for the PSD was already in motion, and the PSD did not have significantly higher horsepower numbers than what a turbo IDI could produce, so the injection pumps of the turbo IDI's were kept turned down, and an impairing down pipe ensured that anyone who tried to turn one up, would not get good results. This resulted in a sales floor conundrum of trying to sell at turbo equipped engine with a higher cost, and yet only making 10HP more than the NA version. So, when 1994 rolled around, you had the choice of buying a 7.3 NA, 7.3 turbo, or 7.3 PSD. Naturally the new, unproven PSD, had a good 50 HP or so over the IDI's, making them a natural choice and allowing the now cursed 7.3 IDI to fade from the catalog. I suspect you younger guys can pick up the story from there. As a final comment, my model A 6.9L was delievered with 170HP. HP figures would range from 155HP to 175HP depending on model year and altitude calibration. When the truck was delivered it had 3 miles on it. By the time I picked it up, it had 11. Every mechanic had taken a ride in it, and they were all VERY impressed. Most thought the engine was too powerfull for a pickup, and I was warned it would be hard to stop (high brake pedal effort in a panic stop). This was addressed in later years.

(on edit... not sure why that URL link won't work. There is an article I wrote over on TDS that can be found under Contents, 6.9 and 7.3 Tips, then click the first article, 6.9L gasket and turbo install.)

Last edited:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CAn we combine this info and make a tech article about it? There is a lot of stuff here that would be usefull to anyone working on these... Infact, if we could keep it running right up to the current 6.0 that would be great....

What cha think...

Hangfire

Reaction score
Whew! Man, this is a good thread, thanks guys for all the great info. That's the reason most of use hang out on these forums... I mean besides your charming personalities and all.:rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be glad to make it into an article format. However, I know nothing about PSD's, so somebody would have to do that part, and I can merge them together.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel,

Teriffic write up. That would make a dandy addition to the tech articles as would the info Jim supplied above your post. Wow guys, good good stuff there. I want more!!!! LOL

Mike

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, what Jim supplied was from an old post of mine, so I have all that data ready to go. The question in my mind is what else should be in the article? Seems to me the question got started because of recent interest in IDI's from some of the PSD folks, so perhaps some additional info on chassis and body variations over the years to go with this engine info? We've got 3 body styles, 7 axle variations, and 4 transmission and two transfer case choices. Ideally, I need access to an 87 to 91 sales brochure as well as a 92 one. I have one for the 83 to 86. I guess it gets hard to know when to stop! :eek:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Mel, I have a 93 brochure scanned in and zipped. Let me know if you want it and I can host it as a zip file. (too large to email)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88