Hijacking?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am new to "foruming". From what I understand "hijacking" someone's thread is rude and usually also against the rules and I don't want to do either, especially here!

I understand the definition to be changing the subject within someone's thread. For example, Bob starts a thread about dogs, and Sue chimes in about airplane fuel.

Is asking a question directly related to the topic being discussed in a thread also considered hijacking? I do it so I don't start a whole new thread about virtually the same thing. But I also don't want to come off like I am "hijacking" people's threads.

Thanks for your patience while I muck my way through forum etiquette :angel:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, as long as it pertains to the thread it isn't hijacking. In some cases it might be better to start your own thread but if its something short your fine.

If its something in depth or complex, start a new thread maybe. I wouldn't worry to much.

Others will chime in soon probably.

:angel: So you've got a centurion eh? :angel:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In most forums, hijacking is considered really bad form. Here OTOH.......the worst offenders are the ones in charge of the place.:eek::D
so for those members who feel that the mods and admins should be working towards the next round of sainthood....you found the wrong place.
if you are one of those who don't follow every thread, the ones that have a abnormally high post count are usually ones that have been hijacked and have disappeared into never-never land.
how's that "cute jeep" doing? any more nibbles?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In most forums, hijacking is considered really bad form. Here OTOH.......the worst offenders are the ones in charge of the place.:eek::D
so for those members who feel that the mods and admins should be working towards the next round of sainthood....you found the wrong place.
Truer words have not been spoken LOL :shocked: :D

Seriously, there are three message forums I read on a regular basis...one of them is very strict and uptight, one of them is essentially the Wild West, and one of them is somewhere in between. This may seem surprising to the powers that be, but OB is the "somewhere in between" board...and, frankly, I think that the people running it have struck a pretty good balance. The strict/uptight forum I visit, I go there to read information, and rarely participate in...no matter how kindly a post is worded, someone is almost certainly going to be offended, and at that point it really stops being enjoyable. The Wild West forum...to call it "brutal" would be a considerable understatement. It's a complete free-for-all with essentially no rules whatsoever. I can't even really describe it...in spite of the lawlessness of it, there is some good info, which is the only reason I go there at all.

So, common-sense regulation and a smooth-running board...kudos to the admin team ;Sweet and AFAIK you haven't done anything bad...it can never hurt to ask, though, and I think you'll find that people on here are generally pretty patient/tolerant (except for with politics, which is why I don't venture into the off-topic forums, but that's another story LOL )...

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the mods here are the worst of the bunch.... for one.... the site normally runs smooth enought, that most members here don't even know who the moderators/administrators are (we don't run around with a "silver star" on our chest like alot of forums). Alot of times we are the worst ones for dragging a thread into the weeds, or keeping it there.......

I only get on 3 forums on a regular basis.... here, next door at superdutydiesel.com, and one for my Garden Tractors. It is relativly relaxed here, and some "wandering" is fine... alot like sitting around a table and having a conversation.... it may stray, and then come back. Other forums, if you deviate from the topic it can get ugly..... I prefer the relaxed atmosphere here.... and if it does get out of hand, the moderators step and and straighten things back out. We do not like to show people the door, but, we have when it is necessary.

We also try to stay on top of things like spammers. I was on a few nights ago when one got in.... and I showed them the door very quickly...... and cleaned up their mess......

I think you felt like you hijacked the thread about the dash paint.... but in that case, I thought it was not a hijack.... but a valid question.... because, I, for one, did not know how to prep for the paint until you asked, and were answered.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Not to Hijack the thread,..but Scott, How do yo like your Diesel Excursion. I have been trying to find on but they are hard to find, been lookng high and low, to and fro, and still nothing,.wow are they hard to find, glad you got one,...bla bla bla,..

:D

Thats usually how a hijacking happens,.. never done it myself it was kinda fun,.LOL

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to Hijack the thread,..but Scott, How do yo like your Diesel Excursion. I have been trying to find on but they are hard to find, been lookng high and low, to and fro, and still nothing,.wow are they hard to find, glad you got one,...bla bla bla,..

:D

Thats usually how a hijacking happens,.. never done it myself it was kinda fun,.LOL

It happens like that, and someone answers:

Yes I love it.... would like another one..... blah,blah.....

Or,

Someone make am innocent comment...... but they way they type it...... it can read an entirely different way.......

Like the thread about Heath's clutch issues....... a simple coment took that one into the weeds, across a field and over a cliff.........

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I freaking love my Centurion. I drove it all day today buying cars. It is a beast and a head turner. Although I pretend boys think I am so pretty they are looking at me, not my rig haha.

The cute Jeep has two nibbles. I took Rich's advice and worded it a lot better. It immediately got two people interested, as opposed to zero. Funny, the people interested in the Jeep are so friendly and enthusiastic. The Corvette people are ********. They're so cranky and negative. I can't wait to sell this lovely vehicle.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I thank you guys for the feedback. I did feel like I hijacked a couple of threads, but I felt ok with it since it was directly related to the topic. I think one of them wasn't related at all though.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
But I thank you guys for the feedback. I did feel like I hijacked a couple of threads, but I felt ok with it since it was directly related to the topic. I think one of them wasn't related at all though.
ok so we now know what hijacking is..... If we put more than a 6" lift on our trucks can that be called hijacking too?????

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 3" on the new pig and I feel like that's fine enough for now. Broncos always feel like their natural position is on their side or upside-down haha. I haven't driven a lifted anything since high school. The IDI feels high just stock.

All the other girls in their crossovers and Yukons are mad jealous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828