High Idle prob

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Noticed my 99 7.3 is idling a little higher than normal. Its idling at about 800rpm's or so. Still runs smooth, no misses. No unusual smoke. Sometimes an erratic idle when I let off the throttle it sometimes has a lope till it goes back to idle. I noticed that a wire connector was unplugged in the engine valley. Was told it was the EBPV? Makes it warm up faster in winter? Could this be the prob? I plugged it back in. Wondering if there is maybe somethin wrong with it causing this prob?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CC oil temp. sensor is the one that raises the idle RPM's til the oil gets to a certain temp., I think 120 degrees. When the RPM is at 800, punch the throttle and the RPM should come down to ~650, then in a few seconds come back up to ~800. That is with a cold engine. Yes the EBPV warms up the engine sooner. The EBPS is on the front of the engine with a tube going down to the pass side exhaust, that tube can become plugged or have holes in it. Take the tube off and clean it out, also the sensor, be carefull cleaning the sensor or you'll ruin it. Below, even tho it say's 2002 it's the same on the 99.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/ebps.php

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
CC oil temp. sensor is the one that raises the idle RPM's til the oil gets to a certain temp., I think 120 degrees. When the RPM is at 800, punch the throttle and the RPM should come down to ~650, then in a few seconds come back up to ~800. That is with a cold engine. Yes the EBPV warms up the engine sooner. The EBPS is on the front of the engine with a tube going down to the pass side exhaust, that tube can become plugged or have holes in it. Take the tube off and clean it out, also the sensor, be carefull cleaning the sensor or you'll ruin it. Below, even tho it say's 2002 it's the same on the 99.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/ebps.php

Well I unplugged the EBPV wires and its back to normal. Seems to idle normal. Yea I've already replaced the EBPS tube. It was rusted in two and plugged when I bought the truck. I checked it again awhile back and still nice and clean. The sensor is still good too. So far so good. It ran like normal today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online