Hi

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice set up, very clean. not that i am arguing you choice in motors but i am wondering why? just curious to hear what made you go with a IH IDI.;Sweet

i am working on a Jeep swap but am currently letting some funding catch up to move forward.;Really

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall I built the headers myself. I gave my father in-law a exhaust manifold gasket and he cnc machined the flanges and Ibuilt the rest of them useing 2"sch40 carbon steel weld onfittings. Yes10 wheel rear axle was built with the spindles from another 14 bolt rear. Has hyd brakes. Some day I want to make it drive. The fan shroud was built from hand laid fiber glass on a cardboard form in 2 seperate pieces no room to get a 1piece shroud in their. It will show but its all about go!! We have 4 of our own Tenesse walkers , but have room to haul 6 on weekend trail rides. The truck S sees about 5000miles a year.Why have it if you dont use it? Not a trailer Queen

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jred Simplicity reliabilty something differnt and decent horse power potential. I can outpull a simarly loaded Duramax about 24000lbs

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, they took me in with open arms...regretted it ever since!!! :)

Nice truck, I am a Chevy fan as well, but found a good deal on a couple of F series diesels. Love the 6.9, and well, I am growing fonder of the truck now that the bugs are getting worked out, but still love my chevy's!

Welcome aboard!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Jred Simplicity reliabilty something differnt and decent horse power potential. I can outpull a simarly loaded Duramax about 24000lbs

Uhm, no 7.3IDI will pull with the several Dmax's I have driven, empty loaded or otherwise.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhm, no 7.3IDI will pull with the several Dmax's I have driven, empty loaded or otherwise.

Don't know about that. Your truck must not run like mine It's not often I get passed up while empty or loaded especially not on the grades around here. On the flat ground they can out run me due to no overdrive but with a 4000 rpm redline I can usually keep up.

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and warm welcomes. sle2115 I was refering to a basicly stock duramax

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! ;Sweet :D We were admiring that rig in another thread recently. Somebody found it and posted it. Glad you got wind of us and joined up. I'm a big fan of custom trucks, and home fabricators. Something I've always aspired to, but have never wandered that far out of the box. I've also always respected GM products, even though I'm a blue blooded Ford man. In this day and age Ford and GM need to stand back to back and shoot at anything foreign encroaching on their soil, so the days of the Ford/Chevy rivalry are waning. Your truck is fantastic, and would love to see more pics of how you did your rear axles, something not well covered in your Webshots album. As for linking tips, when you visit your web shots page, look to the right, and down a bit. You will see 3 URL's posted for linkining in various ways. Choose the bottom one, which says "link in a forum" and just cut and paste the whole URL right into your post here. Makes a nifty clickable thumbnail as exhibited in the thread already. Again, welcome. Check out our archives and forum FAQ's, but of course I'll understand if you skip the Ford only stuff.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't know about that. Your truck must not run like mine It's not often I get passed up while empty or loaded especially not on the grades around here. On the flat ground they can out run me due to no overdrive but with a 4000 rpm redline I can usually keep up.

Well, their 350+ HP and 600 ft/lbs. versus our 185 HP and 300 ft/lbs. of torque says otherwise but hey, believe what you want! ;Sweet

Guess I need to time mine after all!!!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ok ok, I'll bite.

so what did you do to make the motor so powerful?
and was there a reason you used a van motor? did it fit better?

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, their 350+ HP and 600 ft/lbs. versus our 185 HP and 300 ft/lbs. of torque says otherwise but hey, believe what you want! ;Sweet

Guess I need to time mine after all!!!

I hope that my motor is making a little more than 185 HP.
I'm not saying that they don't have more power(or power potential) but they're not walking away from me either.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I hope that my motor is making a little more than 185 HP.
I'm not saying that they don't have more power(or power potential) but they're not walking away from me either.

Ok, 185 stock turbo may add 50 HP (this has been hashed and dynoed to be pretty accurate) so you got 235 hp versus a 350+ Duramax/PowerStroke/Cummins stock. So they got you by 135 HP.

I don't argue these trucks pull well, I will argue all day that they will pull with any of the later trucks.