hey yall gotta 6.9 in my boat

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4768 cubic inches of 2stroke madness turning 2100rpms (They are only supposed to turn 1800, but I'm special, ok? Don't tell my boss)

That's what I did on my 8V71 568 CI in my GM 4107 Bus with Allison V730 tranny so I could go 72 MPH top speed. Set the Gov, for 2200 RPM. Screaming up mountains at 30 MPH.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The largest underpower I have ever seen was a 54" motor/sail made of concrete a good friend of mine owns it. The motor is a 4 cyl Izuzu engine. He can make 4 knots max with it sometimes the tide ru ns faster!!! he managed to sail it to Alaska, Hawaii, and so on don't know what he tweaked it to to shove that huge mud boat around!! I have a 305 chevy in my 20 footer I just wish it was a 30 footer ah well it would be a pain in the ass to haul around if it was any bigger anyway. My Ford diesel would haul it but as my brother discovered with my last diesel it's a bit hard to STOP!!! Thats how he wrecked my truck, gives me a chance to get a newer one anyways I suppose. Cap is correct though there is a LOT of difference with the needs of a boat and a truck. Look at the S boats of WWII their motors would burn ANYTHING they would even strain the bilgewater for **** poor crude with chunks in it and those subs would burn it. Read the book written by the chief of the Swordfish. It's amazing what they have done with diesel power.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Am I the only one one who thinks the OP is fake and his boat does not exist?

There is no Coonass, La.

Coonass is a mean name for a Cajun.

There is a former member that hated one of our valued members. This respected member is from Louisiana and makes his living on a boat.

The former member was a idiot that enjoyed posting fake stuff and getting people riled up for kicks, could not spell and always typed things in one long paragraph. :dunno

Or maybe I should go make myself a new hat out of tinfoil...........?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
doubtful there Dave, the person you are talking about could NOT have posted 1-2 times, they'd have been all up our **** with retarded information. Coonass's call themselves coonasses anyway.... Myself, I'm an Appalachian American, thankyouverymuch.

either way, who cares, this was a cool enough thread with or without the Original poster.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
doubtful there Dave, the person you are talking about could NOT have posted 1-2 times, they'd have been all up our **** with retarded information. Coonass's call themselves coonasses anyway.... Myself, I'm an Appalachian American, thankyouverymuch.

either way, who cares, this was a cool enough thread with or without the Original poster.

Gotcha! ;Sweet And I agree, this is a cool thread. An IDI submarine!?! I am also very interested in the opinions about running a dry exhaust in a custom swapped diesel boat. The reason I find it interesting is because most marine diesels are worth a lot money if they are not rotted out. That means I have to pull one out of a scrap truck.

The boat I have is a 17' Barretta cuddy. It currently has an Alpha1 outdrive and one of those half of a 460 marine 4 cylinder engines rated at 170 horse. I would love to set my 6.9 in there, but I am worried all that weight aft would make her less than seaworthy. ;p

I bet one of those little Isuzu 4 banger turbodiesels would be slicker than a chicken lip. I could fill the 35 gallon fuel tank with wmo and go boating all weekend.

Or maybe I should get a boat with a broken big block and swap in the 6.9 with a turbo?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
technically that video had TWO 16v149's I just didn't show both of them.

here have another from a different boat:
You must be registered for see images attach

I would think without water cooled exhaust that lil engineroom would get REALLY hot in a hurry.

At any rate, my idea of diesel power is vastly different then yours :)
You must be registered for see images attach

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Gotcha! ;Sweet And I agree, this is a cool thread. An IDI submarine!?! I am also very interested in the opinions about running a dry exhaust in a custom swapped diesel boat. The reason I find it interesting is because most marine diesels are worth a lot money if they are not rotted out. That means I have to pull one out of a scrap truck.

The boat I have is a 17' Barretta cuddy. It currently has an Alpha1 outdrive and one of those half of a 460 marine 4 cylinder engines rated at 170 horse. I would love to set my 6.9 in there, but I am worried all that weight aft would make her less than seaworthy. ;p

I bet one of those little Isuzu 4 banger turbodiesels would be slicker than a chicken lip. I could fill the 35 gallon fuel tank with wmo and go boating all weekend.

Or maybe I should get a boat with a broken big block and swap in the 6.9 with a turbo?

A 17 ft boat with a 6.9l would definetly point to the sky when trying to get up on plane. Also, that Alpha one wouldn't take the torque very well. It's kind of tough for planing boats and diesels, it would have to be a high power to weight ratio to work well. You can buy them new these days, but of course they're super expensive. A souped up 4bt would be the only thing I can think of that might fit the bill for a conversion into a sterndrive boat, or maybe a good running mercedes. Actually they used some of the two stroke detroits in work boats around here, that would be sweet to hook into a sterndrive.

It would be interesting to see if you could do the bad big block swap with a turbo IDI and get enough power to plane out well. I bet it would have to be at least a 22ft boat to do well.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can power anything with diesel, even a 17'er. There are anything from 5HP single lunged diesels, all the way up to 36 cylinder radials... whatcha gotta do is, figure out what fits the application.

There are high speeder diesels and reaaaaaaaal sllloooooow turnin' torquers. There's diesels weighing less than 100lbs to many many tons.

Application, application, application....then decide what'll fit, give time to get real, start over, then find the engine that really works.

There's a diesel out board to fit an 8' boat here:

http://www.ecvv.com/product/914724.html

or how about the first ever diesel out board here:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...jetboat-engines-coming-first-diesel-motor.png

American made of course!

What gets me more than anything are the idiots in Detroit building electric cars with only a 40 mile range, listed for nearly $40,000, yet no one will build a hybrid diesel electric, with that little out bard as main power, attached to a 115V generator/alternator to feed a "small" battery bank.

That thing would get over 200mpg on a bad day.

Anyway, I don't care if ****-age never shows up again, this was a fun little expedition into alternative diesel platforms. Look how big and popular this thread got all by itself. I think it was highjacked no less than five times. LOL

Boats being near and dear to my heart, I couldn't help but to participate over and above my normal self.

The common thread that holds all of this together is diesel engines. It's too bad nobody showed up that actually had some photo's and ownership experience of a 6.9/7.3l marine set up.

I had a lot of fun in this thread... thanks to all of you for humoring me, even if it wasn't your intent. You all had some great input in this thread. Glad the ownership didn't sink it because it was boat related and other than Ford stuff along the way. :thumbsup:

Dadburnit!!

I forgot,

In my signature line, you will see a 24' Sea Ray with a 150 HP VW Marine Diesel. It's attached to an older Volvo 290 Duo-prop. The thing does almost 32 knots. The engine was designed to power up to a 28' express model boat to 28' knots. It took the place of a Chevy 350- 290HP. The gasser only took the boat up to 26 knots, mostly because of torque issues. It had the same diesel out drive as before, but I was able to increase my prop size and pitch to increase speed. The Chevy made 4500rpm's, the VW only 3600 rpm's.... see what slow burnin' fuel will do for you?

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
checking IP#'s........

as most of you suspected, yup. it's a banned member masquerading as a new member. still, a good conversation came from it, so not all is lost.;Sweet
what's funny is that racin'-n-drumin' made such a big deal of erasing his posts over at PSN and he has to sneak back over to validate himself once again.cookoo
there's a couple more banned members hanging out too, I'm aware of them. As long as they're quiet, I'll tolerate them. a self imposed silence is a far worse punishment they bring upon themselves. for the moment they post something, their true selves surfaces and they're banned yet again.:D

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to have a diesel attached to a duo-prop! -Drool

Here's a pdf of VW marine engines:

http://www.vw-m.de/uploads/vwm/VWM_PlaningBoats_e_09_Screen_466_091028102337.pdf

If you look through it, you will see the 5 cyl 150/165 HP engine. The big box on the side houses a pre-rigged electric oil changing pump.... how kewl is that?

I did have to search around for a different intermediate housing, it actually took a "Ford" transmission bolt pattern v. the Chebbie. The spline count was exactly the same too so I didn't have to change that out either. The intermediate housing cost me a grand, but the fuel savings over the 350 was short.

The 5 cyl VW is only an inch longer than the V-8, took some cutting on my deck to stuff it in, rebuilt engine mount location on stringers, but it works great. Very minimal conversion effort. Of course, I had to purge/clean out the fuel tank, add a return line and changed/upgraded my fuel sender gauge, but that's about it....oh, and raw water cooling intake moved, no biggie either.

I hate to say this, but VW partnered with Cummins/Mercruiser.... mostly because Mer can't decide what it wants to do regarding diesels. Merc has gone from Ford, to I think it was Isuzu(small 3 & 4 cyl units that exploded from over HP'ering those things.... not enuff displacement- Isuzu makes great diesels ordinarily), now on to Cummins. Volvo already has a diesel system, so they were out. Too bad, Volvo's re better light to medium duty out drives.... except for Mercruisers no longer made Type II out drive... best drive ever made. If pushing heavy weight or for go fast boats, Merc now makes a TR2, but it isn't the same... FWIW- the Type II had the transmission inside the boat like a regular shafted boat did... how smart is that(???!!!)... not much outside to break and built tough. The Type II is pretty much the only Merc drive I'd voluntarily pay for out of pocket for other than race boats. Racers are weight sensitive, the extra weight of the good independent transmission system v. built in transmission adds a couple hundred pounds.

Anyway... hijacked again, in yet another direction... sorry... too much stuff in the marine side for me to hold myself... like a kid dancing to go wee-wee in the middle of a 20 acre parking lot... I just gotta let go! :rolleyes: cookoo

BTW- hot photo Towcat! ;Lick ;Lick Taaaayzzzzdee!!

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
capt tom-
where are you based out of? looks like you have a salvaging operation by the description of your equipment;Sweet most of my cousins are older than me on my dad's side of the family, so we got to do some interesting adventures growing up. my best memories was when the cousins were into houseboating on the Sac/San Joaquin delta system and we had skiboats tied up to the houseboat. one year we managed to stay out on the water for two months. we docked for fuel and food and sit-down meal every now and then. I think the older cousins knew it was going to be the last run, the following year, many had to go take on real jobs and make a living. we're down to one cousin who still boats like it was the last thing he will do on this earth. he's got a boat collection like my gun collectioncookoo fortunately, he had income to support the habit and a wife who is into boating as much as he is.

gotta question....
I'm looking at a Vista 258 cabin cruiser with twin 454's and two twin-prop outdrives. the outdrives need overhauling due to galvanic corrosion and they look expensive. is it possible to put in a single prop outdrive or should I continue searching?

the girls in the avi can be found over at Typ4's avi thread;Sweet

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
as most of you suspected, yup. it's a banned member masquerading as a new member. still, a good conversation came from it, so not all is lost.;Sweet
what's funny is that racin'-n-drumin' made such a big deal of erasing his posts over at PSN and he has to sneak back over to validate himself once again.cookoo
there's a couple more banned members hanging out too, I'm aware of them. As long as they're quiet, I'll tolerate them. a self imposed silence is a far worse punishment they bring upon themselves. for the moment they post something, their true selves surfaces and they're banned yet again.:D

I kinda thought that the OP sounded a little funny. :rotflmao:rotflmao
Figured someone from the swamps wouldn't be on here askin for help with their boat. cookoo Maybe a transplant that thought he was cajun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle