hey yall gotta 6.9 in my boat

Smogie

dunce
Reaction score
my name is Dennis Delong, some my friends call me double d some my friends call me ****, but I think that sounds chineese. Finally gotta puter and I googled some deisel stuff and came hear for imformation, I here this is the place for the international motors, maybe yall can help. Lookin for more power outta this thing, when I get my nets towd in and im trollin, the damn thing just aint got the power, somebody told me I shood open up the exhasut an i did that, but the local parish said the damn thing was too loud so I ran the exhaust into the water, turn the water black, aint no big deal lot quiter now. Got exhaust done and turn the injetion pump up 2 flats, gotta snorkle on her, what can I do for more power?

Preciate it, yall are grate

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most folks over here will tell ya that its kinda a waste of time to build real power, the kind you want out of one of these motors.

Head on over to PowerStrokeNation, and do some sniffin'. There is a cat there who is building an IDI that'll run yer boat right up to and embarass all the Cummins pushers ya shrimp with!

Smogie

dunce
Reaction score
These motor dont make power? I thougt these things were good, at least thats what the guy I bought the boat from told. He said that the power strokes were the same engine but with a turbo mine doesnt have a turbo, just a snorkle but I figure it do just as good speshally when im headed into the wind. Is the powerstrokenation just for power strokes? god bless ya

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, mostly PowerStrokes, like this is mostly for the IDI. Both sites have mebers of the other type.

HUGE difference between wht you got and a Stroke.

1 wire makes yours run, PSD has a brain.

The baddest fastest IDI here barely scratches the surface of a STOCK PSD.

Your engine take's it's diesel via pre cups, the PSD is Direct Injected....

I prefer the simplicity of this motor, and if I was gonna run a DI diesel motor in my Ferd, it'd be a cummins before I went to a Stroke, or Duramax.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are a tough old powerplant though... but they run about the same hp/tq as a 4 cyl cummins or Isuzu out of the gate, stock to stock.

Smogie

dunce
Reaction score
Lern sumpthin new every day dont know much about this power stroke, my buddy has a truck with one and it seems ok. so are you sayin the 6.9 cant make good power, I just want enough to tow in a good lode of shrimp wihtout bogginer down, also herd that these things can be made to run on moter oil, is that true? keep my feul cost down use some old stuff a got in a barral outside.

thanx

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to OB.;Sweet
sit a spell and take a look around. you'll find that many of us here make a living with our trucks.
and then there are some who want to wring the most out of our trucks/motors...cost be damned.
irregardless, you'll find us here a little different from other sites. but you'll have to look around and make up your own mind. Only advice I have is don't drink the Kool-aid from the first person who offers it to you.:eek:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It the thing doesn't have a turbo, then that is project number one, and that would be getting a non wastegated turbo on there ( one that will like spinning up and staying there ) Go to Hypermax and have them set you up. Not sure why you would need to run your exhaust through the water to quiet it down, that would seem rather restrictive. A good straight through 4" or 5" big truck muffler about 48" long should tame the noise level down to where nobody should be complaining.
Depending on how old the fuel system is, it may be due for freshening up. It may be time for a new injection pump and injectors, lift pump may be old and weak. and depending on what kind of breather setup that version of the engine has, it may be due for a new CDR ( PCV type thingy )

If it has a lot of hours on it, chances are the rings are getting pretty dirty and compression isn't what it could be. Wouldn't hurt to run a couple of full treatments of Auto Rx through the thing to clean out the ring packs and optimize compression and it does wonders for old seals.

These engines are good strong pulling workhorses, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I worked at a bus company maintaining a fleet of school buses with the things in them back when they first came out, and they got the snot driven out of them and we never had to do anything to them aside from scheduled service, and they would outrun the similar rated cummins equipped rigs in the mountains loaded down
These things aren't speed demons , but they are steady workhorses

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to see some pictures of your engine in this boat. I think your the first person i have heard of having a idi (besides a gm) in a boat

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
No, mostly PowerStrokes, like this is mostly for the IDI. Both sites have mebers of the other type.

HUGE difference between wht you got and a Stroke.

1 wire makes yours run, PSD has a brain.

The baddest fastest IDI here barely scratches the surface of a STOCK PSD.

Your engine take's it's diesel via pre cups, the PSD is Direct Injected....

I prefer the simplicity of this motor, and if I was gonna run a DI diesel motor in my Ferd, it'd be a cummins before I went to a Stroke, or Duramax.

Funny Man :dunno

The 7.3 Turbo IDI can be made to out perform a DI. To an extent. Dollar for Dollar, the IDI is an all out better engine for a working enviroment. Cheaper to run, maintain, and modify.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB. There are Marine specific parts (at least I've seen them posted before) for these IDI's. If your's is N/A, I agree with Robert, a turbo would be a big help. What is the govenor set at on the IP. A Ford truck spec IP would off some more RPM than those found on IH medium duty trucks and buses. I honestly don't know if marine engines have the lower RPM govenor the IH truck had.

Since you bumped up the fuel on the IP, you really, really, need to get a pyrometer on that thing. EGT's can get out of control fast. How many hours are on the IP and injectors? If they are long in the tooth, then replacing them and getting the IP timed correctly would be a nice help as well.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK Wait a minute... wait a minute... First off, we get VERY VERY FEW IF HARDLY EVER... people in here with an IDI in a boat, so first things first!

Show us the pics!

then there is a whole bunch of discussion that needs to go on. Clydesdale is welcome to his opinion, but I think the bulk of users here would disagree with his assesment. Especially people who are Moose powered. :sly

Also, the OP said he turned his pump up two flats, and nobody mentioned he needs a pyro? Tisk tisk.....

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I agree with Heath & Mel. You can't appreciate the ability of an IDi till you have it right and ready to work at its best.
I spent a lot of time on the road with an IDI towing for a living.It will do the job! It just needs to be right.
I have lots of questions since I spent some time in boats also.
First is the propeller matched correctly for the boad (Pitch - cup etc) this makes a world of difference on the use of the power an engine produces.Does it hold the engine at the proper governed speed at full throttle or does it cavitate? Now remember if you add engine power the formula for the propeller will change.
Next a good engine to start with-pyro - turbo- properly timed -good pump & injectors . Now an early power stroke can't walk away from you.
So many ways to go,one is head studs heads studs for sure. A boat is under load 100% of the time underway - so get it right.
A good soakin won't shut your IDI down unless it trys to breath water,you can fix it on the water with minimum effort & tools. The requirements of stuff in an emergency kit isn't complicated to get you running again. Epecially if you have room behind the back seat :D ( ask icanfixall - he will tell you how to pack a back seat:dunno)

Now after all my great,wonderfull -superior advice,friendly attitude etc.
When ya gonna take me out shrimpin? :angel:

Mr Bill

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
what kind of rpm do you work this thing at?

and clyde, I dont think my crewcab is the baddest fastest smoker around, but it does run better than an obs stroker, runs very similar to my friends 02(stock).:sly

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Another thought- how is your engine cooled Raw water - or with a heat exchanger? Do you use a coolant additive to protect you from cavatation in the cylinders?

Yes guys I love boats.