Hey all, I'm in need of an opinion...

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone, I need some advise regarding my fuel return line job i'm doing. So my truck is a '92 F350 CCLB SRW 4x4 with the 7.3. I have the brass T at cylinder 8 and it has hose running from it, to under the truck. My problem is, is that I tried to take off that hose to replace it lake all the rest because all my hoses were brittle as kindling and I figured once into the job might as well do all the old hose. I can't get the old hose off the T fitting, and i'm not sure where it leads to. It seems to press onto a steel line from the tanks. I currently have to full tanks and do not want to pull a line and start shooting Diesel all over the place.
I've chewed up the end of the hose on the T fitting trying to take it off (I know, i did not think this through..) and i don't know if I can go back and re-clamp it and be okay. Maybe cutting the old hose and splicing in a brass fitting and new hose?
Should I push to replace ALL the old hose? Is it worth it?

I gotta say, I've been lurking here for awhile before and after I bought my truck. This is the BEST site out of a couple for anything IDI related. I would not be confident enough to replace my own GP's, Injectors and return lines taking the time to do it right with the right stuff. Viton rings and Viton fuel line, without this site. THANKS!;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. What you are seeing is the return line and it can be removed from the top of the engine without draining fuel from the tanks. That can't happen even suction draining the tanks wont happen. That line is way above the tanks fuel elvel. I suspect you have the hard line running from the injection pump top to this number 8 location. If so you can remove it to fit this return line. Or if you have the simple brass manifold fitting at # 8 that too can be removed to fix the return lines. I can see what size your return lines are but suspect they are the 1/4 inch size. If the caps have the offset return hose That line running from the brass manifold is 5/16 line and you can remove it farther down the line for easy repairs too. Cutting off the hard steel line is not problem either. Just remember this has no pressure returning to the fuel tanks. Its mostly gravity feed back to the tanks. A clamp is best used on any fuel line repairs or modifications. nipple and the red clamps then you have the 1/4 inch size. The other size is 3/16 and it has the nipples in the center of the caps and green clamps. You can't mix and match these size return lines either. Its one size or the other but don't try both on the same system at once. You will have plenty o leaks....

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks icanfixall, I did get the kit with the green clamps, but ditched the hose for 6.3mm Viton fuel injector hose and metal hose clamps. Orielly's didn't have the size of hose that came with the kit. It seems like a nice tight fit, we'll see what happens when I get it on the truck. I still have the other hose and clamps if I need to re-do it.
Anyway regarding that hose that starts at the brass T by the fire wall and drops down to the frame of the truck where it seems to just push onto the end of a steel line...I can take that hose off the line and I won't get hosed with diesel?
I took some pics of it all just to be sure....

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here she is with the hood up...

and the door tag....Made In Canada!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think every one I have seen was made in the great white north.

I think I would replace all rubber fuel lines. Especially the one at the lift pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, where is the lift pump located? is it in the frame on the drivers side?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Passenger side on the engine. Follow the lines down from the filter. You'll find it.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under the alternator, bolted to the block... Welcome aboard neighbor, my brother and sister in law lives off wade green road over there...

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found it, that's not something i was gonna mess with, but would there be an olive on that line where it meets the filter? also that return line that comes off the T, can it be deleted? like the one back to the filter? or is that line important?

I'm kinda stuck at this point, whether to pull that hose or not. I can't quite determine if icanfixall said that those steel lines that the hose goes to will spill diesel or not.
It sounds like it won't but i just want to be clear. I'm w/o a car today so I can't go but the hose anyway and I can't do anything else till my injectors come in.

By the way, i bought my injectors from the diesel store, new ones not remanned. Any thoughts on that? They were the best price (i'm on a very tight budget..) but I know that does not equal best quality or performance. I paid 152 to have my old Stanadyne D code injectors tested at a local shop and they all failed both pop and atomization tests. I was suspisious of the shop, due to an earlier incident where I paid them to look the truck over upon buying it and after digging into it myself, I don't think they even lifted the hood. I could be wrong but once the seed of dis-trust is planted it's hard to dig out.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey 79jasper, i'll go back and hunt for hose on that pump. I just saw steel line, but if there's hose there I wanna get it all now and be done with it.

Whitehorse, thanks. Yeah Wade Green is not far at all. I bought my ZD9's at the Orielly's on wade green. I bought all they had.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The steel line runs to the pump, also coming from the pump is the rubber line going to the frame rail. Pretty hard to miss. Lay under the truck and look up.

Those injectors aren't "new." Probably end up costing you more in the long run.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well the sad part of your injectors is they really can't be new at that price. I say this because I know what real new injectors cost. and as for being charged 152 bucks to pop test a set of 8 injectors.....:eek:;Really Thats plain robbery. Never use that place again. Now the pics you showed are what I was talking about. You have the brass fitting at # 8 injector like I thought. If the return line caps and clamps are the same as what you are using to replace with then you have the smaller 3/16 line. Not a problem at all. The only locations your engine "should" have an olive is both ends of the filter feed line to the injection pump and the lift pump line end at the filter head. The feed line to the pump is 5/16 and the lift pump line is 3/8 inch. That tells you what size olive you need. The Tee you spoke of has be wondering what and where that is. If its off the filter head going to the return lines then you best to keep that included. What that fitting on the filter head does is vents air from the top of the filter instead of forcing air thru the injection pump.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks 79jasper, found it, and I solved my other problem too. That hose from the T goes to a different type of line, it looks like rubber but looks like the steel line. That then runs onto the steel line. I'm glad I don't have to mess with that connection.
I feel good, my works done for the day and I have to house to myself. I think i'll have a Molson and crank some Rush!

Thanks again everybody for your help.