heres an interesting question...

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I am watching this intently. If there was some aftermarket pre-cups, I would be more interested in building a IDI motor for more power, and boost.

PZ

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt you guys have thought of this, but.. even if they are different a little i wonder how hard it would be to machine the pre-cup or head, or both to use the 6.5L ones, if they are in fact better designed.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
This interested me, was wondering if any followup had been done yet.

I am curious if the late model 6.5 are better, and if so why? I am still a little fuzzy on what makes a diesel perform, and why.

*bump in the night*

Black dawg

Reaction score
This interested me, was wondering if any followup had been done yet.

I am curious if the late model 6.5 are better, and if so why? I am still a little fuzzy on what makes a diesel perform, and why.

*bump in the night*

better than what?

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 94 IDI Turbo precups are 20cc vollume With a BB injector and a glow plug installed. If that will help you any.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Mel, I was going to PM you about that when I got to starting the engine rebuild after the new year.

Do you or anyone els ehave a cross section of a Pre-cup?

goofy when I cut that head, the saw blade teeth left at the precup:eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Precups are inconel material.. Extreamly heat resistant and very seldom crack or fail. In the steam path repair shop I worked in we would tig all the steam cuts in the turbine stationay diaphrams with inconel. Slow work but paid of in longivity use too. The steam flowing thru the turbines will eat away the metal blades. We would cut them back till we found weldable metal. Then build a copper base formed just like the missing blade and weld back the blade. We actually make the blades that was. Very time consuming but it worked. The power fileing and sanding was hell on your hands. Our gloves had shock absorbers built into them.. Didn't help much either....:cry:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Precups are inconel material.. Extreamly heat resistant and very seldom crack or fail. In the steam path repair shop I worked in we would tig all the steam cuts in the turbine stationay diaphrams with inconel. Slow work but paid of in longivity use too. The steam flowing thru the turbines will eat away the metal blades. We would cut them back till we found weldable metal. Then build a copper base formed just like the missing blade and weld back the blade. We actually make the blades that was. Very time consuming but it worked. The power fileing and sanding was hell on your hands. Our gloves had shock absorbers built into them.. Didn't help much either....:cry:

He's not kidding. We used to use custom made inconel hooks to dip projects in acids to clean them. I still have a couple big hooks that I kept after the shop went bankrupt. A grinding wheel will barely touch them if it does anything at all.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
What is the benifit of doing porting work to the pre-cup? How much does it help? What is the design differances from the 6.5 to 6.9/7.3 pre-cups?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online