Help with replacing ball joints...

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me step by step what I need to do next. I have my caliper off and disconnected the tie rod from the steering knuckle. I think I need to take apart the hub assembley to get the rotor off? (I have manual locking hubs) Will I need a special tool to get the hub assembley off? From there what do I do next? Thanks guys. Any pictures or links to any special tools I will need would be greatly appreciated.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You'll need a hub nut socket. The parts stores rent them out, but not a bad idea to just buy one.

Make sure to keep all children away, you will have some choice words.

Someone here may have a write up on it.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.mechanicstoolsupply.com/...-and-Master-Adapter-Set-AP-7897_p_15979.html#

i have this tool set i use for ball joints, works great, can rent one at a auto parts store aswell, you will also need to get the snap ring off once the hub cover is off, if you dont have the correct pliers then you can use a pick and screwdriver to et the snap ring just more of a pain, then you can removed the manual hub, thats when the hub nut socket comes in, removed the nuts then the rotor will come off, unbolt your upper and lower ball joint and removed the steering knuckle and press the ball joints out, press the new ones in and put it back together, be patient, its really not hard to do them, i might have missed some steps im trying to remember, i just did mine 3 weeks ago, keep everything in order so you know how it goes back in, hope this helps, sorry if i missed something

aaklingler

Reaction score
You will need the special spindle nut socket, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F250-3..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item1e62369f75&vxp=mtr Then I like to use a slide hammer with a special socket to pull the spindle, http://www.ebay.com/itm/KD-3910-Fou..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item4cfe872a0c&vxp=mtr Then pull the axle, then I remove the top ball joint nut and loosen the bottom nut and beat on the top stud till the knuckle breaks loose, then you will need to press the ball joints out and back in, I didn't have very good luck with the c-clamp press, I used a hydraulic press and got some pieces of pipe cut. You will also need a torque wrench to torque the ball joints and hub nuts. Les us know if you need specs or any other help. There is a specific order to reinstall the hub nuts, make sure the inner nut has a little stub sticking out and that it is in a hole in the washer.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need the special spindle nut socket, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F250-3..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item1e62369f75&vxp=mtr Then I like to use a slide hammer with a special socket to pull the spindle, http://www.ebay.com/itm/KD-3910-Fou..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item4cfe872a0c&vxp=mtr Then pull the axle, then I remove the top ball joint nut and loosen the bottom nut and beat on the top stud till the knuckle breaks loose, then you will need to press the ball joints out and back in, I didn't have very good luck with the c-clamp press, I used a hydraulic press and got some pieces of pipe cut. You will also need a torque wrench to torque the ball joints and hub nuts. Les us know if you need specs or any other help. There is a specific order to reinstall the hub nuts, make sure the inner nut has a little stub sticking out and that it is in a hole in the washer.

Yea spec would be awesome. Should I replace the axle u joint while i'm in there?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need the special spindle nut socket, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F250-3..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item1e62369f75&vxp=mtr Then I like to use a slide hammer with a special socket to pull the spindle, http://www.ebay.com/itm/KD-3910-Fou..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item4cfe872a0c&vxp=mtr ...

Thanks for that link!

I have the spindle NUT socket, however the slide hammer socket is a new one to me. I imagine it can be used with a puller too!

Thanks again!

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About replacing the u joints when your in that deep. Think about going back in that deep again in a year or so.. Would you do it willingly or scream about having to dive back in... Also think about how easy it will be because you used anti sieze on all the threaded parts. So to advise wether to do it or skip it... Thats up to you and your time. Some od us love digging into these rigs no matter whats going on.. They are so simple to fix.. But the extremely cold or hot weather can make you hate looking at the trucks...

aaklingler

Reaction score
I wouldn't replace the u joint unless it showed wear. After you get the spindle nut off you can pull the hub and rotor off. Then you need to pull the spindle off unless somebody knows an easier way. That's where the second tool comes in, I use a slide hammer, I'm not sure about a puller. Read the directions with your ball joints, see if there is torque procedure. I would like somebody to give there procedure for the spindle nuts, I was following Ford's but my hubs seem to be loose.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the op, I hope you can understand where im coming from when i say this, but if you need step by step directions on how to replace ball joints you really need to find someone else to do it for you. knowing that there are repair manuals out there, not everyone is cut out to repair there vehicle themselves. while replacing ball joints is easy for some, for others that dont understand how there supposed to work, and installed incorrectly can get not only you hurt, but someone else as well. only reason i state this is due to the way you asked your question.

we really dont need a new thread next week saying "my wheel fell off going down interstate, what do i do now?"

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would find a friend that has done it before and hopefully he has a torch set. As for the inner joint only a moron wouldn't replace it while everything is already apart.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I get the spindle nut off will the axle shaft just slide out?

This is a very simple run down

Jack up and set vehicle on stands safely

Remove wheel/tyre assembly

Remove caliper hang up on frame from wire tie etc

Remove locking hub

Remove spindle NUT lock washer and 2nd spindle nut

Remove complete wheel hub assembly with rotor

Remove 4 or 5 bolts retaining spindle to knuckle

Remove spindle

Remove axle

Undo nuts on ball joints and hammer assmebly (PROPERLY) and remove complete knuckle

Remove ball joints with specialized tools

Clean the ***** outta everything so it's SURGICALLY CLEAN,

install new ball joints

Begin reverse of removal instructions to install all cleaned up parts

Replacing Worn and less than steller parts. IE U joints, wheel bearings, wheel bearing seals, brake rotors, pads etc.

DO BOTH SIDES one at a time. but DO BOTH SIDES, this makes sure you won't be into the front end again for quite some time.

Doing both makes it so you inspect the front end competely, repacking wheel bearings and replacing worn parts where needed...

JM2CW

Al

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the op, I hope you can understand where im coming from when i say this, but if you need step by step directions on how to replace ball joints you really need to find someone else to do it for you. knowing that there are repair manuals out there, not everyone is cut out to repair there vehicle themselves. while replacing ball joints is easy for some, for others that dont understand how there supposed to work, and installed incorrectly can get not only you hurt, but someone else as well. only reason i state this is due to the way you asked your question.

we really dont need a new thread next week saying "my wheel fell off going down interstate, what do i do now?"

When i say step by step its not like i need somebody to tell me how to take the tire off, remove the caliper. i am mainly concerned about getting all the pieces to the locking hub put back on correctly. I know that the hub and spindle need to come off and i need to take the knucle out to press the ball joints. Id just rather ask questions and get the best idea of how the whole assembley works. It just looks like there are so many springs and little parts to the locking hub. There will be a couple bolts that i access from behind the knuckle that will allow me to take the spindle off right?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When i say step by step its not like i need somebody to tell me how to take the tire off, remove the caliper. i am mainly concerned about getting all the pieces to the locking hub put back on correctly. I know that the hub and spindle need to come off and i need to take the knucle out to press the ball joints. Id just rather ask questions and get the best idea of how the whole assembley works. It just looks like there are so many springs and little parts to the locking hub. There will be a couple bolts that i access from behind the knuckle that will allow me to take the spindle off right?

Well the step by step instructions I provided where clear, concise and accurate. There are no bolts to access from behind the knuckle that will allow you to take the spindle off....

Read my basic instructions, google the model of axle you have for images and look at an exploded view, like the one I posted in a very similar thread a couple days ago.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the step by step instructions I provided where clear, concise and accurate. There are no bolts to access from behind the knuckle that will allow you to take the spindle off....

Read my basic instructions, google the model of axle you have for images and look at an exploded view, like the one I posted in a very similar thread a couple days ago.

Thanks i appreciate your run down. I think the newer super dutys have like 4 bolts that hold the hub on i didnt kno if this wud b similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel