HELP!!!!!! What is this in my oil pickup

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Im tearing down my 6.9 to do a reseal and found these things in my oil pickup. Does anyone have any idea what these are from?

Attachments

• photo 3 (5).jpg
    photo 3 (5).jpg
    921.5 KB · Views: 19
  • photo 2 (6).jpg
    photo 2 (6).jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 17
  • photo 1 (7).jpg
    photo 1 (7).jpg
    707 KB · Views: 20

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the lower piece in your pics sitting on a small ledge near the lift pump when I took my front cover off. I was told at the time that it's an internal part of the lift pump that probably came out of a failed pump at some point. I'm not sure what the top piece is, but I'd bet that it's also part of an old lift pump.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that would make sense since I had to put a new lift pump in right before I decided to pull the engine. Is this something to be worried about as far as resealing the engine.

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say bits of a lift pump arm. There seems to be several designs of lift pump and they seem to like to crack and break in half like that.

Wouldn't worry too much about it, just make sure everything is clean and put it back together.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats the classic whatca ma call it thingymabobber off the weird thing.... Actually that looks like someone didn't know how to install a lift pump and broke it three times. Problem most experiance is they get the lever on top of the cam lobe. That ruins the pump. You must place the arm under the cam lobe. You may find the cam lobe really worn deeply too. If thats what you find just remove the lift pump and install an electric lift pump back by the fuel tank switching valve. Buy a big block chevy block off plate and cover the mechanical lift pump opening. Be careful that the plate fits well. The top of the block is machined differantly and if the plate rests on top of the lip it will not seal.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icanfixall, that what I called it to lol. I think im going to go ahead and go with the electric pump when I put everything back together just for the extra insurance