HELP!! Tranny just blew...

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...my ZF5 in my 89 sig truck just blew. I was drivin along at 60 mph n then it started to buck like it was gonna run outa fuel. I started to pull over n the tranny started makib a growling sound. When I was almost stopped it locked up solid...tires slid for about 15 feet. I had the clutch in n it wouldnt come outa 5th gear till I shut it off. I let it sit for about 5 mins n restarted it again with the stick in neutral but when I let the clutch out its like it was in reverse but was trying to go fwd at the same time. What could have happened??? In the towtruck on the way home as Im typing this...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn man not sure...and I had a 2wd ZF not long ago...

Was it low on fluid?

Guess gotta wait n see whats up when u get back

If U need a 2wd trans..I can check with the guy I sold mine too...see whats up if he still has it.

I don't have a 4wd one...

PM if u need my cell #

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Sounds like somethingon the mian shaft broke that holds the sycros in place. If you can take the top cover off where the shifter attaches to the tranny and see if you can see anything broken.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im havin it taken to my mech that does all the wrenchin on my big trucks. My # is 250 457 7388 Al. Cant send a pm on my phone. Tranny temp was just over 200 when all this happened...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
How about an input shaft bearing? I have one that actually came apart on a nissan 720 diesel pickup once. Got the truck that way and didn't really have it happen to me but the only gear it would go into when shut off was 3rd. And trans would shake and rattle when clutch was released when engine was running. Did you have any noises prior to this happening..?

Sorry to hear of the misfortune.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hard to say what caused this but I'm feeling it was low on oil. Others with lots of time with the ZF box will have a better idea. Sorry this just happened too...

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys, its appreciated. The mech said its probably better to look for another tranny then trying to get into this one. He said Im lookin at about 10 hrs labour to take it apart and put it all back together plus parts...so Im thinkin that another tranny is the way to go also. RiotWarrior is gonna see if he has an option for me so hopefully that turns out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The shops I've talked to said it doesn't take that long. Most said a few hours.
I'm betting bearings, and a chunk of something ate up the gears.
That's almost exactly what mine did.
Could possibly be a bent shift rod/broken fork.

Kevin is close. Mine started with the input shaft being torn up from the pto box.

Which brings up a question, do you have a pto?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726