HELP! POSS NEW 5 SPEED FOR 100 BUCKS!!! HELP!!

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lined up a new trans for 100 bucks. It is from an 88 350 with a 460. I have heard this is do able with redrilling the mounting holes on the transmission. I am going out tonight to look at the truck and hopefully drive it (100 is the you-pull-it price) but wanted to check here before wasting my time. Will this work on my truck if I modify the mount?

I blew my oil cooler and my trans has no 3rd gear. So while im in elbow deep my thought was throw a good trans in. If I decide to go this route I will pull the motor to do the oil cooler and put the new trans in at that time.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for a hundred bucks I think I have just scheduled my weekend out. Theres people asking 1200 for an unknown condition trans so worst case it goes in my garage for a little while. Look like we should be good with a bit of modifications to the bell housing.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have done it and you wont be sorry for doing it. the gears are better suited for the diesel, so it will feel like you gave it more performance.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have done it and you wont be sorry for doing it. the gears are better suited for the diesel, so it will feel like you gave it more performance.

I wondered about that. I used 2nd as 1st in my truck. Can you explain to me the difference in shifts just curious. Or explain how its different from your diesel trans. Thanks.

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went the opposite way. I have a 83 with a 6.9 and 4 spd and I bought a 92 with a auto OD. While the auto is faster unloaded the 4 speed will eat the auto alive loaded. 4 grears have a greater spacing than 3. Once you get the auto up to speed they are about the same. Eason

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
When you put it in 1st you'll wanna shoot yourself cause it's so slow, but when you hit OD you'll notice you gained a few MPH.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the difference in the gas and the diesel 5 speeds is only in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
4th and 5th are the same gear ratios.
the 1st gear is higher then the diesel 1st gear and takes longer to wind out, also you will feel more power from midrange to top end of 2nd and 3rd gear.
pretty much 1st.2nd,and 3rd wind out longer due to being higher gear sets.

also the way i did it was i drilled out the top 2 bolts to 1/2 inch. then i bolted the engine adapter to the transmission. then i took the same 1/2 drill and using the adapter as a stencil, i just drilled out the other 4 holes to match. worked like a charm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online