HELP! New gear box, ret line hole smaller than original

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Hi all, been awhile. Changed out my badly leaking gear box with 300k on it with rebuilt unit. New and old unit have same part number stamped on them. Both OEM ford housings.

PATIENT: 1994 f250 4wd, pwr steering
7.3L IH Turbo.

Got new box on and wouldn't you know it one line hole is different.

To be precise, the replacement unit the return hole in the box is smaller than the one I removed. This is the hard line that runs across the cross member and loops back. Looking down from the drivers side fender it is the one closest to the front of the truck. The old one took a 5/8" wrench and the new one would take a 1/2" wrench I assume because it is the same size as the rear most hole.

How can I fix this? New box? Hope not :-(. Or is there some kind of adapter fitting?

Thanks

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe there's an insert or adapter threaded into the new box that was left there. Otherwise, you're prob. looking at a new return line to fit the new box.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K I'm guessing here you are talking about the POWER steering box NOT a GEAR box or transmission?

Must be a newer model with metric fittings instead of the standard SAE size.

I'd say take it back and get a replacement and take your lines with you while at it so you know you get the right box.

JM2CW

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Well that is quite a bit of work to change it back out. There has got to be some kind of adapter. Yes it is a power steering gear box. The stamping on both boxes are the same. Just one flare fitting orifice is diffrent.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well take the original hose to a quality auto parts store like most nappa stores are and try to match it up with what will work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Or do this. Figure out what the fitting is on the box. then have a hose made to fit it. A tractor supply or a hydraulic hose shop can do miracles.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Or do this. Figure out what the fitting is on the box. then have a hose made to fit it. A tractor supply or a hydraulic hose shop can do miracles.

I am going to take old box and high pressure line which the end of this hose is the same as both orifices in new box and find a brass bushing at hardware store. Needs to be male thread to box and female flare on the other side. Will see what I can find. If not will just buy a new line and add a power steering cooler. Maybe a male thread into box with hose barb on other side> rubber hose>cooler> rubber hose to pump resiviour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online