Help me pick turbos please.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im building a twin turbo set up on my IDI but there not much out there on it if you can imaging. I dont know how to read turbo calc charts or how to size turbos. All I know is smaller A/R means more agressive spool time and I think I have found some turbos to try but Im not sure I was hoping for some input.

Would a T3 turbine side with a .48 A/R be to small to run twin? I want it to spool ASAP but not cause an EGT problem.

sootman73

Reaction score
Why would you want twins on an idi?

yea i think we have come to the conclusion that its not worth all the extra effort to put twins on an idi. one properly matched turbo would do a better job than twins plus its easier, costs less, and much less complex. oh and i've already did the research with maps and a/r ratios to find the best turbo.

garrett T61 would work best for our motors. and keep the a/r ratio of the exhaust side around a .80. a/r for the intake i cannot remember off hand right now though.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure I agree yet. I feel like these trucks spool to slow and to get more agressive means a more agressive turbine wich leads to higher egt's. Im hopeing to get a better response with twins vs. my single and keep my egt's allot lower. I feel like the hot side from ATS chokes off some power and may create some heat but I could be dead wrong. Either way Im going to give this a shot and find out. I just want to do some testing for myself. I have never even seen or heard of an IDI with twin turbos so what the heck I figure I will try it.

Im hoping to hit 15-18psi

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
only way i would ever run twins would be compound, so i could try to make alot of boost and power, but still semi streetable run a small turbo to spool quick and a large one for top end power/boost

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only way i would ever run twins would be compound, so i could try to make alot of boost and power, but still semi streetable run a small turbo to spool quick and a large one for top end power/boost

I have been talking about compounding the two turbos. Seems like it would work well.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe with the bigger thread and the studs the 7.3 will hold the boost as long as you're careful. It's gonna take soem serious fuel. You already have the DPS pump I think, if you get some of Mel's Moose Misters and an electric lift pump(or keep the mech one) that can keep up with it you'll be in good shape fuel wise. For this to do anygood you'll just have to have a ready supply of cool air and size the turbos correctly so that they won't superheat the boost air too much. I wonder if you could also intercool the whole works. I think you should do it, you're grown, have acces to a tream of income and you want to do it. You'll probably never be this free again to buy truck toys, and it might work out real well for you. Flatlander eventually lifted head with compounds Banks Sidewinder and PSD stock turbo at around 18-20 psi with a Moose Pump. WIth the stock IP he never saw over 650*F egt and hardly could get 11 psi in overall boost. This motor was studded and had .060" off the piston tops, but it was a 6.9 so the studs/threads were still on the smallish side.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe with the bigger thread and the studs the 7.3 will hold the boost as long as you're careful. It's gonna take soem serious fuel. You already have the DPS pump I think, if you get some of Mel's Moose Misters and an electric lift pump(or keep the mech one) that can keep up with it you'll be in good shape fuel wise. For this to do anygood you'll just have to have a ready supply of cool air and size the turbos correctly so that they won't superheat the boost air too much. I wonder if you could also intercool the whole works. I think you should do it, you're grown, have acces to a tream of income and you want to do it. You'll probably never be this free again to buy truck toys, and it might work out real well for you. Flatlander eventually lifted head with compounds Banks Sidewinder and PSD stock turbo at around 18-20 psi with a Moose Pump. WIth the stock IP he never saw over 650*F egt and hardly could get 11 psi in overall boost. This motor was studded and had .060" off the piston tops, but it was a 6.9 so the studs/threads were still on the smallish side.

I already have a big ol PSD aftercooler mounted in front of my radiator so Imset on that. What are Moose Misters? Does flat lander have any pictures of his? What about power? Im not as big on making tons of boost as I am having it start nearly off idle and stay full bore all through the rpm's. I know my motor is good now and it runs damn good. I just want to finish it up right and finally take advantage of some of the money I already have in it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
flatlander does have pics, i aint got them saved on my lap top or i would post them for you, but im about to send flatlander some money monday for his system

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been tinking about this more lately. I think it would be more beneficial to run Twins in parallel instaed of being compounded like flatlanders setup. Two small turbos on on each bank.

I have pics of a guy putting twins on a powerstroke and in all honesty, it really wouldn't be that gard to do it. Build your own manifolds that go straight up and that would be the turbo mount. I will try to find the pics.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think twins we be kinda cool....but I also like the idea of compounds. Just has to be set up correctly.

I think we have already figured out which turbo's to use if we wanting parrellel turbo's, something off of a 2.3l motor or something.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have 2 T3 T4 turbos laying around here with .63 A/R on the turbine and .50 A/R on the exhaust. Im thinking of trying the first to see how they do before I go and buy smaller turbos. They may end up working out fine. They are similar to what was used on the 2.3L.