Help me make a shopping list for my motor.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I got a new job, wife said no new truck but gave me the ok to build a motor for the 93. I have a good running 7.3 from a 91 I was just gonna re-seal and toss in but want to do more now. Like I said, the 7.3 runs great, oil psi was good, idled smooth but had a little oil in the coolant but oil itself was/looked clean. I want to take it in and have it torn down, inspected, new rings and bearings, heads done etc.. I was also planning on doing head studs, the R&D cam, sending my turbo off to Russ for the upgrade, a moose pump and still on the fence over moose misters or the BB codes. I wasn't planning on an intercooler as I'm already short on under hood space due to my coolant filter and catch can. I am considering water/**** injection though as I do tow heavy on occasion. I wasn't planning on lowering the compression either due to what I read about the R&D cam helping to bleed it off. I just want a solid motor with a little more giddy up than stock. Will all this stuff play well together? I'm open to alternatives or things I missed as I plan to start collecting parts in the coming months and hopefully have this thing ready to swap in by next fall. :sly

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would do intercooler long before water/methanol. Water cools, methanol makes power and heat.
You can get a fairly happy medium, but a thing to remember (Depending how you have it set up) most water/methanol setups only come on under high boost(water/**** mix) or high egt(plain water)
Yes, you can tune it to come on lower, but it takes a lot of trial and error.
A intercooler works all the time.
Also think of possible side effects during equipment damage/failure.
Intercooler: about the only thing that can happens is you get a hole in it, pop a boot or hose = no boost, but you can still drive home.
Water/methanol: took much power = blown head gasket, block, or whatever. Too much water or it leaks while the engine is off = see above.
It does happen, they can and will leak. If you do go that route, stick to the big name companies and get a quality kit.
Just relocate your batteries, and re situate your coolant filter and catch can. I mean gonna have it all torn down anyways = perfect time to resituate things.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind intercooling, but the only kit is from hypermax and appears to only fit their turbo system. ATS doesn't make anything engine related for these IDI's anymore. I'm not the greatest fabricator either or I would build my own.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's alot of bucs your talking about. Prices may not be accurate, but close.

Cam = #200 + ship.
Studs = $450
Rebuild heads = $400 to $500
New bearings = $ 250
Moose pump = $850
Gaskets = $150
Oil cooler O'rings = $70
BB code injuectors = $ 280 if pop tested add another $100
New rings = $100
Intercooler ? maybe $250 to $350
Shop to tear block down and re-assemble labor. 8hrs @ $95, $760
Should sleeve engine if putting that much money in it. About $1200
If the crank has to be ground (some mechanics won't install new bearings without doing that) have no idea on the cost of that. Probably $300

That's around $5200 plus.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you are looking to spend but here is some good for thought. I emailed promar engines. To get a reman from them with the upgrades I wanted including studs, cam, valve springs I think was going to be about 4500 by the time I bought gaskets etc. And it has a warranty. I don't think I'm going that way unless a chunk of cash falls from the sky but it might be an option for you.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
That's alot of bucs your talking about. Prices may not be accurate, but close.

Cam = #200 + ship.
Studs = $450
Rebuild heads = $400 to $500
New bearings = $ 250
Moose pump = $850
Gaskets = $150
Oil cooler O'rings = $70
BB code injuectors = $ 280 if pop tested add another $100
New rings = $100
Intercooler ? maybe $250 to $350
Shop to tear block down and re-assemble labor. 8hrs @ $95, $760
Should sleeve engine if putting that much money in it. About $1200
If the crank has to be ground (some mechanics won't install new bearings without doing that) have no idea on the cost of that. Probably $300

That's around $5200 plus.

Most of your prices are pretty close. I went and looked this stuff up and as for the parts, cam($200), studs($390), moose pump($735), moose misters($670), sending my turbo($625) to Russ, and oil cooler kit($30) from Russ, I am at $2650 + shipping. I can get the gaskets from work with my discount, so I will need to check on those later. I haven't checked on the motor work yet as I still need to look around and find a shop to do it. I'm a bit weary about sleeving due to the stories I always read about with the liners moving. Isn't there a test that can be done to check the thickness of the cylinder walls? I plan to keep on top of SCA's to hold the block worm at bay.

I was looking at that, the tubes and intake hat are all designed to work with a hypermax turbo setup. I will do some more research on the subject though.

I don't know what you are looking to spend but here is some good for thought. I emailed promar engines. To get a reman from them with the upgrades I wanted including studs, cam, valve springs I think was going to be about 4500 by the time I bought gaskets etc. And it has a warranty. I don't think I'm going that way unless a chunk of cash falls from the sky but it might be an option for you.

That's a good price, that about my discounted work price for a stock long block. I am trying to keep this whole build in the neighboorhood of $5k, that was a convincing point for my wife that I could build a better motor for the cost of a new regular one. While the promar setup would be nice, I wouldn't have the money left for my others goodies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online