Help getting wheel studs in hub/rotor assembly

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a bad spot, got the truck all torn apart in the parking lot, cannot for the life of me drive these wheels studs into the rotor/hub assembly. Half hour of hammering got about half of them most of the way in, cant do it anymore.

Anyone have a good way to get them in? I wish i had a air source and a rivet gun right now-cuss

is there some kind of electric tool that works like a rivet gun?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
A cordless impact gun, and turn the lug nut around (flat side to rotor). If you have aftermarket wheel lug nuts, use a couple of junk washers.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the hub/rotor off the truck, I was thinking an impact gun might just spin the whole assembly since I have no real way of holding it down.

I need to get this out of the parking lot before its night time and it walks away, dewalt 1/2 inch impact gun is 150 dollars, Think its worth it? Right now thats the only advice I have so im leaning towards it

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Oh, didn't know it was off the truck, try the big hammer and brass drift method, as mentioned above

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on Guess ill go buy a bigger hammer (Using a medium/small sized ball peen all i currently have)

Hope that works Thanks for the quick imput guys!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like you don't have a big enough hammer. A 4 or 6 lbs sledge (called a single jack) is what will have enough dynamic force behind it to drive them in. What weight hammer are you using anyway and how did you get stuck in a parking lot.. Sleeping in it overnite is a suggestion too...:sly

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If a 2 pound hammer doesn't do it, something is wrong. Are You sure You have the right size studs? Just a thought.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright upgraded to the 48oz hammer, got some bigass punches, still nothing. These are the same studs that came out and they came out easy, so I know its not them. Lubed them up prior to starting this. Looks like my **** is doomed to get jacked over night i HATE leaving my truck in the parking lot on jackstands =/

Got a diesel shop down the street with some nice guys guess I will have to bring the assembly down there tomarrow and have them press it in.

Man changing the rotors on this thing is a NIGHTMARE compared to light duty stuff!

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure the groves on the studs line up with the groves on the wheel hub that might help.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go oldschool. Put the studs in the freezer and heat up the hub with a heat gun. Maybe that will give you enough difference in size to get things to go into place with a little persuasion...

Ryan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online