Help getting wheel studs in hub/rotor assembly

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty damn solid just a piece of wood. Its dark out now so im done for today guess tomarrow ill freeze the studs, torch the assemblys, and hope for the best

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wood might be the problem i would have put it on the concrete parking lot and let her have it with the bfh

Exekiel69

Reaction score

That will heat a little faster but not much difference on steel this thick. Btw, why do You use a punch, can't You hit it straight with the 2 pound hammer if it is off the truck?
Hope everything works out well, I would hate to leave any of My vehicles at a parking lot overnight, I would provably sleep inside it till next morning.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah its my parking lot so I can monitor it and stuff, but crime is horrible around here once everyone is asleep. ugh

And I need the punch because you have to drive the studs in from the back of the rotor so they stick out of the hub, and the area of the rotor they are in is recessed, So I cant just hit it with a hammer.

I wonder if all 3/4 ton truck are like this or just Fords. At least the half ton chevys did away with this nonsense a long time ago.

There is definently no shortage of manpower going into this hammering too, thats for sure.

What a nightmare this job turned out to be

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BFH, heat that hub n such in the oven 500 degrees freeze the studs, only take out a couple at a time and pound em in or go to diesel shop and get them pressed in...or the new rotor has the wrong hole diameter for the studs to pass...can u measure the old one to the new one?

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be honest havent measured hole diameter in new vs old rotor, should prolly do that tomarrow, put that caliper to use.

Going to try both those methods tomarrow, hoping I can get them in there

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Ok, boys, here's the deal. Unless that hub has some real good support under it, you can beat the stud with a building and it isn't going in.

Try this: Get a stack of washers and put a bunch of oil or light grease on them. Turn the lug nut around backwards. Put the stud through the hub stud hole and oil the threads. Stack the washers up about 1/2 inch on the stud (on the wheel side) and thread the lug nut onto the stud. Now use a socket or end wrench to tighten the lug nut on the stud, pulling the stud onto the hub. Works every time, no beating necessary.

Or get a bigger hammer and wail away.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of using a punch, which stings the hand. Use the small ballpeen hammer you were using to drive the stud, place that on the stud and hit it with the BFH, the wood handle don't sting as much.

Just replaced 12 studs, ballpeen hammer like said and 4 lb hammer to hit, 15 minutes all out, 20 minutes all 12 in.

Attachments

• DVC01564.JPG
    DVC01564.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DVC01565.JPG
    DVC01565.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Instead of using a punch, which stings the hand. Use the small ballpeen hammer you were using to drive the stud, place that on the stud and hit it with the BFH, the wood handle don't sting as much.

Just replaced 12 studs, ballpeen hammer like said and 4 lb hammer to hit, 15 minutes all out, 20 minutes all 12 in.

Bill, that is a bad Idea hitting one hammer with another. that is just looking flying shrapnel to be imbedded in some part of the body

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle