HELP! DOA 6.9, way over fueling

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I've been having some issues with my truck recently and I'm not exactly sure what is busted, last 3-4 days, it started when I took it on a quick jaunt to the rev limiter in top (4th) gear, then it started detonating and blowing black smoke, but when I slowed it down the problem went away, but the next day it was there at arround 2500rpm, just not when I first fire it up, but it comes back last night at 2000rpm going up hill, then this morning it seems OK untill it warms up (I'm noticing this seems to happen only once it warms up) it does the same black smoke and detonation. I had to shut it off today to get it to stop, the first time it worked, the second it went into runon for many seconds, perhaps 5-10 seconds, before it quit, then I couldn't get it restarted with the starter, but did with a roll start from 15mph, then shut it off with the key due to continued smoke and was unable to restart it with the key or gain speed to roll start (darn stop signs)

Smoke like this

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Sounds like the pump just died.I betcha that Nylon thingy in there came apart and got into places it should have causing timing wander and or sticking FSS.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What miles are on the pump? Are you running straight diesel or blending bio?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm running straight diesel, but I did run half a tank of veggie/diesel mix a while back, I don't know miles on the pump, but the origional owner said it was origional, so that would be 210,000 :eek: granted, it could have been replaced, ya never know!

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the IP and you need it rebuilt, I have a spare (my original '84, 100K+ miles) you can borrow. It worked just fine when I removed it from the truck. Just remember to save the fuel fittings if you send your IP in (ask me how I know :rolleyes: )

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Petri317- I may take you up on that, how did you get your retimed when you replaced the injection pump? I don't have a timing light, ant the price makes me go :eek:

Evergreen- how would a pluged fuel filter cause overfueling? I replaced the filter on the engine a couple months ago, but havn't yet replaced (dumped?) the firewall filter...

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the timing, I just etched on the IP Gear housing where the IP mark was and alligned the marks when I put the new pump in. Of course, not long after that I pulled the engine for a rebuild and to put it in a newer truck. I too think the price to have it timed (~$100 at Santa Rosa Diesel) is a bit much, but probably worth it to ensure the most accurate timing. When my truck is running again, (almost done!!! Yay!!) I will have it timed professionally.

Another alternative is to buy the timing equipment, but it's like $200 or more. If I had the time and money, that's what I'd do.

NapaBavarian: PM me if you need the IP.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your IP went TU. I had the exact same symptoms as you describe. Be sure to check your crankcase for diesel fuel. My old IP (the original at 186k) pumped diesel fuel into the crankcase.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Much love, the problem is back!!! A couple things I noticed, temp gauge registered a might bit high, but not too bad, within spec, a lovley green drip from somewhere on the passanger side of the engine, I havn't yet determined exactly where, and my crankcase is way overfilled with what I presume to be a motor oil/fuel oil mix, perhaps that is what is causing the runon, splashing up into the cylinders:backoff

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that sucks that the problem came back. If you have Fuel in the oil, it sounds like your lift pump may be bad.