Heater issues

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first started using the heater this winter it was making a squealing noise at start up. That stopped about the second day of using the heater. Then out of no where the fan stopped blowing all together. Then the fan would randomly work but it was blowing all cold air no heat at all. Well now its stopped working all together. Fuses are fine. I thought I would see if anyone has experienced this same issue before r&r (remove and replace). My ac pump took a **** this summer so I now have the bypass pully in. Not sure if its related???

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note I did my return lines this weekend and man its like night and day. No more hard starts and seems to run smoother in general. While I was in there I de-greased the motor...I now know that IDI's arent black they are painted grey.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, the blower motor probably took a dump, or the resistor pack that controls speed is broken but the squeeling is definately motor. Make sure the heater hoses are both good and hot , if so, see if you may have broken a vacuum line to the heater controls while doing the maintenance. The heater system runs off the vac system.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 I like your rail. I just finished mine... not quite as good looking as yours but I am 24 with a 6 mo baby so I am building everything on a budget these days.... If you ever come to utah dunes or st annes let me know.

I am going to check the Heater hoses when i get out from my drive home. I am guessing that because at one point it was blowing cold air that I may need a new Heater Core? I will get the blower motor regardless as I would like to eliminate any future issues while I am in there.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ, the fresh air door on these things is vacuum controlled yes, but it only switches between outside air and in-cab air to flow through the core. It's the blend door that controls hot vs. cold, and that one is cable driven off the knob in the heater controls on the dash - BigNastyStacks, pull your glove box and locate the blend door cable on top of the heater core box and see if its end moves the blend door lever when you turn the knob up on the dash.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Coolant is always folwing thru the heater cores.... Unless you did the heater bypass mod.. Just feel the hoses. The one from the head is the supply and the other one is the return. Hope this helps...

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan speed resistor is located below right of the fan motor housing as seen here with the plug and 2 small bolts holding it in. Available at any chain auto parts house.
You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ, the fresh air door on these things is vacuum controlled yes, but it only switches between outside air and in-cab air to flow through the core. It's the blend door that controls hot vs. cold, and that one is cable driven off the knob in the heater controls on the dash - BigNastyStacks, pull your glove box and locate the blend door cable on top of the heater core box and see if its end moves the blend door lever when you turn the knob up on the dash.

I probably knew that but havent done the system in a while. and as an afterthought I remembered they default to defrost when there is no vac.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typ4 I like your rail. I just finished mine... not quite as good looking as yours but I am 24 with a 6 mo baby so I am building everything on a budget these days.... If you ever come to utah dunes or st annes let me know.

I am going to check the Heater hoses when i get out from my drive home. I am guessing that because at one point it was blowing cold air that I may need a new Heater Core? I will get the blower motor regardless as I would like to eliminate any future issues while I am in there.

I think we are going to st anthonys end of june ish, remind me to let you know. ;Sweet
Here is a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er3ZnneRxC0

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan speed resistor is located below right of the fan motor housing as seen here with the plug and 2 small bolts holding it in. Available at any chain auto parts house.
You must be registered for see images attach

I will definantly look into this as I have always only had one speed for the fan....full on.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I will dig in on saturday and let you know the outcome!

Typ4: You hit second up that hill about mid way through the video and I said WOW! exactly the same time as the filmer. That thing has some get up and go! It sounds like its running like a top! Almost got a turbo for 300 on fleabay but I dont know enough about my motor to go that route yet. I have a 95 riviera that I stopped driving when I got my truck. I traded it for my buggy. The plan was to use the SC3800 motor in a rail but then we found out we were having a baby. I knew it was now or never so I got a wrecked banshee and fixed it up and the sandrail came two weeks before my son. I now have an ATC250R, Banshee, KX500, and the buggy so I should be set on toys until I have to get Keihan a bike.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reached up and felt the cable...Turned all three knobs and nothing. I am thinking it broke at the knob end because nothing at the core end.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part where the rod from the cable connects to the hot/cold knob broke off. I am sure I could jerry rig it up but I am going to go to the junkyard first. Still no airflow so I am going to get a blower motor while I am at it. I was able to pull the cable and drop it down the bottom of the dash so I could make sure its on hot and when I pulled it out and drove to work this morning there was a slight flow of hot air so thats good news. Part hunting time!!!

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 11 dollars I got the hot/cold switch the high/med/low switch and a blower from the junk yard. I know have heat in fact this morning I waited for my def. to melt the winshield...didnt even pick up the scraper. Thanks for all the good input. I love ob.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online