Heater Core question

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While permanently mounting my bypass oil filter and coolant filters today I twisted the input side of my heater core hose all kinds of ways to move things where they needed to go. After I got stuff mounted thew way I wanted them to be, I fired the truck up to watch a mechanical oil pressure gauge I installed in the engine bay right by my electrical oil pressure sender near the factory location to compare how the two read (not the same if you are wondering).

While I was looking at it from the passenger side of the truck I noticed a small leak from the heater hose. I figured since it was a balmy 9 outside last night that it probably just came unseated so I figured I'd take the hose off and seat it again.

I seriously couldn't get the hose off it was that tight. Embarrassingly long time to get it to twist off and of course coolant everywhere, why not.

I put it back on and reseated it, but when I was trying to get it off I couldn't help but think it looked like the coolant was coming from between the inlet and outlet hose nipples from the heater core. The previous owner appeared to have replaced the core at one point as there is what we refer to as "monkey dope" (play-do looking goop between the inlet and outlet taps.

It almost had to have just ended up there and been an illusion as it leaked everywhere so I put it back on and tightened it down and dried it as best I could and couldn't visibly see it leaking and drove 20 miles and my coolant level was the same in the truck. I spilled so much everywhere taking the hose off that the is it wet anywhere approach isn't gonna fly today.

I guess the only other thing I could think of is one of the inlet and outlet pieces of the actual heater core cracked.. but I had 0 leaks inside the cab throughout all of this, just dripping from the engine bay area so I think I fixed it.

Only gonna be one way to find out, and replacing these doesn't look like too much rocket science. Just curious if anyone else ever had a hairline crack or anything on the connections or anything like that. I think I just tried to make it something worse then it was when I noticed it leaking.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's cracked you have learned a valuable lesson. If the core header is not cracked you dodged a bullet, count your blessings. Never twist on the heater core connections, always cut the hose off the heater core nipples and gently peel the hose off. I had to learn this lesson the hard way also.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I guess that it could crack. Replacing the heater core is about a 30 minute job for me on my bull noses. I 'm not sure how your brick nose heater core comes out, but I'd bet that it's similar.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well drove it tonight for dinner and still no wetness that I can see from my flashlight and the coolant overflow is in the same spot. I may have dodged the bullet.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that it could crack. Replacing the heater core is about a 30 minute job for me on my bull noses. I 'm not sure how your brick nose heater core comes out, but I'd bet that it's similar.
Super simple until the 97 body style.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86