Headgasket Issue?

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I noticed that my '90 was not getting to operating temp, it sits around 150 degrees. I contributed it to a bad t-stat, even though it was only 8 months old. So today, I replaced it with a new one, and noticed that the coolant was a cloudy green with a small amount of white in it, as well as a little low in the radiator. There is no oil in it, as well as no coolant in the oil. The exhaust doesnt smell of coolant, just normal diesel burn. There is however a small hissing sound coming from the rear passenger side of the motor when it is turned off and seems to go away quickly once the radiator cap is removed. That side of the motor is bone dry on the outside, but the driver side has oil on it, cant tell yet where its coming from. So what do you guys think? sound like a head gasket?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It very well could be a head gasket issue. Adding a turbo sometimes causes a gasket problem although I ran my 89 7.3 turboed for about 200,000 miles and had no head gasket issues boosting to 13 lbs and hauling heavy. If you change the gaskets its advisable to install a set of ARP head studs. Then you never have head gasket issues again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac