header flanges are in!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acquired drag racer knowledge, with incorrect theory behind it. Think I fixed the errors.

Moving along from the goofs... If we had complete freedom for a custom intake, how would you do it? Inlet front and center would block the IP, to the rear covers GPC, over passenger side may congest the fuel filter area.... In my head going over the drivers side may be easier.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget guys, we are talking about forced induction here. In a NA application (say pro stock), the intake shape and the column of air make a huge difference to what is available because all you have to get the air into the engine is more or less the vacuum created by the intake stroke. The air column has a mass to it and here it matters. In the case of a turbo or supercharged application, the real limitation is manifold pressure. PV=nRT. Pressure and volume are directly proportional to a first approximation so more pressure can be substituted for volume to give you the same number of molecules of air (n) at a given temperature. Your manifold pressure will be limted by a few things (turbo geometry/efficiency, fuel etc.). This is where intercooling becomes important because lowering T for the same PV will result in a higher n and hence more air to burn more fuel.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have enough manifold pressure, the length, size and shape of the runners and such will matter much less than they would in a NA application.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed that it won't matter much under boost, but how often is that? Thus my thought that a good design for NA IDIs would work just fine on a turbo motor.

If it was pullin only, and always in boost, an unrefined sheetmetal rig would probably be just fine.

Some maths I did for our engine (assuming NA and stock internals):
151cc intake plenum
23.54" intake runners (back of valve to plenum)
21.65" long primary exhaust tubes, 1.75" dia, and 3" collector

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only time im under 5 psi is when im at a stoplight/sign, or cruizing on the freeway...:D

you guys rock...
ive always been the "slap it to gether and see how it runs" kinda guy,
you people are making me step up my game.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I r a enginur!!! If you could get an IDI setup to run at 1 psi just above idle like a 6.4... You'd be money... That'd require a perfectly sized variable geometry turbo.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
g-cussd-cuss engineers.
i got a nice purchase order last week,
(this guy purchases his own stuff)
with a valid quote, and asks for a part number.
go through the motions of confirming it,
weve done this job 4 times.
he sends the material,
i call him and tell him that the incoming material does not conform.
he starts to raise his voice, get highly pissed off.
and tells me he sent the correct material.
that im a moron, i dont know what im talking about.
i started rattling off dimensions right off his print, and that why this material will not work.
i e-mailed him a copy of the purchase order, the print, and a pictures of the material on micrometers.
right before i leave today....
a RFQ came across the e-mail for a part that can be made from the material he sent me.

im .05MM away from no quoting it....

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not that kind of engineer... I swear... Civil engineers neeeeever do that kinda stuff...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engineering: That field of work where you can go from saving face to trying to save your ass in increments of time so small they defy measurement.

In my other life, before IDI trucks, I worked in the jet engine engineering field fighting the same issues we are discussing here in the design of exhaust/turbo/intake manifold systems. The same rules of fluid movement [pressurized air is a fluid] apply to both.. Size of the passages have to be matched for the flow of fluid in both cases.

Idiot.. if I have a little time tomorrow or next day, I will lay out an intake manifold in paper cutout form on top of the engine on one of my trucks, using colored paper for silicone hoses, etc.. and take a picture, just to give you a visual of what I think will work..

I'll even try to do a cardboard cutout of a turbo and lay it in the overview.. to give relationship position.

The GP Controller has to be moved, but that's a given for any turbo installed.. IP and fuel lines should stay unmolested, as I have it in mind.

Stand by.. well.. set by.. hopefully with a beverage of choice in hand.. ha..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, another piece of the puzzle has been worked out!
getting me a truck either today or tomorrow...
supposed to be a 94 F250 2wd no engine or trans.
i need to **** some parts off it, but the rest is mine for the taking!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a free truck, that i need to steal fuel tank guards??? gonna work out pretty damn good ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online