header flanges are in!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, one of the "hard to find" parts were delivered to me yesterday.

i contracted freebird01 to get these made for me, he had the resources i did not.

i could have spent alot of time on the mill, and a million hole saws,

but the fact is technology these days are awesome!

and boy did these things make me happy in pants!

3/8" thick stainless steel header flanges!

my next IDI build has officially begun.

now i have to get all of the supporting hardware.

like another truck LOL

warning: these are not a budget item. and simply not needed. but i will never warp these badboys.
this build, when it gets off the ground, will be a monster, and compete with any of these high powered dinosaurs.
not to mention, complete stainless, and tuned primary tubes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At last... real IDI **** .... and a thing of beauty..

Let the build begin... ;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought if you had the above, that a set of 460 headers could possibly be modified to fit. Both engines are wide, and both are found in these trucks, so they would both have to miss the same stuff. I just thought of one problem though, the oil cooler on the driver's side.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I see the nice stainless header flanges, all I see is a new set of headers that are made to feed a big fat turbo with nice bends and pipes that connect like the turbo setup on PSD's ... With an intake set that is all tubes and gets rid of the intake hat foolishness.

Improve the position of the turbo location, use more modern turbos from the selection that's out there now, not 30 years ago, and build an intake that is made for inter-cooler connection and turbo connection that keeps access to injectors, lines, and glo plugs..

In other words... put the IDI into the modern world and make it work more efficiently..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I see the nice stainless header flanges, all I see is a new set of headers that are made to feed a big fat turbo with nice bends and pipes that connect like the turbo setup on PSD's ... With an intake set that is all tubes and gets rid of the intake hat foolishness.

Improve the position of the turbo location, use more modern turbos from the selection that's out there now, not 30 years ago, and build an intake that is made for inter-cooler connection and turbo connection that keeps access to injectors, lines, and glo plugs..

In other words... put the IDI into the modern world and make it work more efficiently..

this next build will have all the above.
GTP 38 from a 99.5+ or larger.
parallel turbos with a 2 into 1 inner cooler being fed to a custom intake.

my personal preference says that the current aftermarket intake and exhaust that are designed by a certain someone has much to be approved upon.
but who the hell am i? just some rookie thats been a gear head all his life.

anyways. this all depends on the platform i choose to build on, i would love a 2 wd SC SB F250. but a 2.5 ton is in stock...
but that wouldnt make it slant,brick, obs friendly.

anyways its going to take a while until this build blasts off, but thy will be done.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

Settled in to watch the build... ;Really Don't forget to take pictures...

Need a build truck? I have one I would "let you" work on.. :rotflmao :rotflmao

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need an intake manifold to mod for a cleaner intake setup?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion... I have had parts water jet cut and it's not that expensive. For my parts I did up an AutoCad drawing, sent them a dxf file and a piece of stock. Setup time is nothing for them. I am not sure what the tolerance is for your flange but I think the WJ would be fine. There is a slight taper to the cut.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need an intake manifold to mod for a cleaner intake setup?

got one!
right now i need a spare block for mock up.

:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

Settled in to watch the build... ;Really Don't forget to take pictures...

Need a build truck? I have one I would "let you" work on.. :rotflmao :rotflmao

bring it on over, plus a nice stack of cash! ill do it!

Just a suggestion... I have had parts water jet cut and it's not that expensive. For my parts I did up an AutoCad drawing, sent them a dxf file and a piece of stock. Setup time is nothing for them. I am not sure what the tolerance is for your flange but I think the WJ would be fine. There is a slight taper to the cut.

if i knew anyone with a WJ, sure... but i dont have the software to draw it up. nor do i have access to one.
3/8 SS isnt cheap either.

im not worried about the cost, i work on other peoples cars so that i can do mine, and ive done pretty well this year.
ive knocked out a 57 chevy, 69 charger, the 58 GMC is a weekend away from being done, and the 89 F350 is coming along quite nicely.
just got my DP flange for that one, hoping to button a few things up today.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that a set of flanges for the intake and then well short tubes that have a rib rolled in the open end to hold silicone hose/clamps followed by more tubes with bends to make up the manifold, which would be fed by the intercooler. Then tube/hose/clamps from the turbo to intercooler.. stainless would be pretty, aluminum would work fine at the pressures run... likely it would shed off some additional cooling surface, so would be my choice... TIG weld time...

Is it done yet daddy??

Let's find a scrap bare block, a pair of cracked heads and a set of valve covers to get this thing jigged up so it will all clear and fit. Anyone near by have one or more off that list?

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the intake is gonna have to be aluminum.
SS would look great, but you want the aluminum to dissipate the heat.
SS will actually hold it.
too bad our heads wernt designed like the SD heads, just one open port.
would make it quite a bit easier.
one issue i see is our damn injection lines, gonna be a pita to run.

ive seen a modified intake where they cut it down the middle and scabed it, but im thinking a nice aluminum tubed intake for each side would be the ticket.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've spent some time looking at the intake. The real problem is the real estate taken up by the IP. I wondered about a full custom intake too. The heads are symmetrical.

No reason you couldn't do custom injector lines. As long as they are all the same length, the shape shouldn't matter if you can make the correct flares.

Subscribed.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have spent a bunch of time looking at the intake.. and came to the conclusion it was useless for a turbo engine.

If you do plates and short straight tubes, with a roll nub at the end to keep silicone hose clamps in place.. the intake ports would easily clear STOCK injector lines, and GloPlugs..

You would then need two sets of intake "spiders" that connected to those plate/tubes, with the actual intake port facing forward, towards the exit from Intercooler.. Then a connection tube [with silicone hoses and clamps] from the Turbo compressor to the intake side of the intercooler..

No hat cover.. and you don't need huge tubes.. just what ever size the intake ports are in the heads..

It should actually give more room on top of the engine and allow a better location and connections for the Turbo.. if both exhaust and intake routing is planned properly..

"Are we done yet Daddy?"

We all need to read up on Bernoulli principles of fluid movement.. Which will help understanding on what happens to a compressed gas when it's moved through tubes of various sizes.. If the tube sizes are selected correctly.. more energy can be transferred to the turbo for work, more cooling can be had at the intercooler. and spool will be quicker..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle