head stud leaking

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JUST an FYI you need to consider this and consider it thoroughly...in other words speak to machinist and also look at your HG and valley pan instructions...

Milling ONE head may cause an issue with the intake fitting and may require machining of the intake face of the head, or the intake it's self.

Having seen heads cut and no intake work done and the interference it creates I'd strongly recomend doing both heads equal and milling the intake face of the heads or the intake it self...

Look into this before pouring money/time into your project blindly.

JM2CW

Al

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i thought about that... i'm planning on shaving as little as possible and opening up the intake manifold bolt holes as Gary has suggested.

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the head off, and it's not the scratch that was causing the leak

all 4 pistons on the passenger side are contacting the valves. Not a lot.

we installed a typ4 cam but it's lined up properly... we have a photo of it installed. I'm not sure about the key in the cam as i had a machinist press it on... we talked about the key before he did it however.

other than that nothing in the head was changed other than it was cleaned by hand. Same pushrods and lifers. I checked them for straightness and wear and they looked fine.
oil pressure gauge in the cab looked good while it was running. It didn't run for long obviously as the stud was leaking. It also wasn't making any terrible noise.

I'll be pulling the other head off soon i suppose. What else should i check next? I guess i'll measure the heads.. but there was no contact before the work we did. Just an external HG leak.

Edit: trying to get my camera to work with my computer so i can get some photos up

The lifters were not pumped up when I installed them, and the oil pressure gauge was acting normally in the cab when the truck was running. Because of this i don't think it was the oil passage being blocked. I also don't think it was faulty lifters as it's happening on every piston (on that side). I also turned the motor over by hand a bunch of times before i cranked it.. and turned it over once after i realized it was leaking. I never noticed any sticking.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compressed thickness of gasket must be less than previous one was. Did you get head work done? Valves need to be a certain depth in order to prevent this. Hmm...sounds like an interesting conundrum.

Most reground cams don't actually add more toe they take from the base circle to increase valve lift. Russ's cam should not have caused this issue IMHO. However I'm not there I'm not taking measurements.

Good luck with pictures...lets hope you get it working soon!

Al

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to degree your cam. I bet it is off, but would have to be off a lot to make contact like that.

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i had a night to sleep on it.

I don't think valve contact would cause a HG leak, would it? perhaps the HG was also installed poorly it seems to blow out around a few of the coolant passages. It's almost like it had a leak somewhere past a fire ring which pressurized the coolant system and blew it out past the coolant passages.

Also i don't think it is a problem with the lifters.. unless it only happened on time. I don't see all the lifters sticking simultaneously, and the oil pressure was fine. When i started the truck the first time there was some sound of metal to metal contact... but i figured it was just the oiling system being primed. It went away very quickly... but is possible that the valves only contacted once. Again though I didn't pump the lifters up when i installed them.

The last thing left is the cam. I have a photo of it installed and the timing marks are lined up (going to get a card reader for this camera today). I don't think a machinist would leave out that key.

Any ideas are appreciated

Edit:
The intake valves hit on all 4 pistons.. not sure how to measure the damage they did but they did not hit hard. The push rods all seem straight. The exhaust valves hit but not nearly as hard, only really on two of the pistons. I thought perhaps i left the bolt off the front of the cam, but i have a photo of that installed as well. I remember bolting the two behind the gear as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes