Head Gasket Replacement????

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Can anyone provide me with the torque specs and sequenes (sp) for doing head gaskets on an 85 F-250 with a 6.9. I have searched, and couldnt find anything. Thanks everyone!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Can anyone provide me with the torque specs and sequenes (sp) for doing head gaskets on an 85 F-250 with a 6.9. I have searched, and couldnt find anything. Thanks everyone!

IIRC the torque on re-used bolts is 70ftlbs and new bolts is 80 ftlbs, but i stepped mine up and used 80 on my re-used bolts, i can find my shop manual at the moment so i cant post a picture of the sequences

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! Hopefully I can get this done in one day. Im gonna start tear down tomorrow night, and I have to be able to drive it to work on fri morning.

Would it be easier to remove the engine completely or just pull the heads inside the engine compartment?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Personally having done it myself both ways, i would pull the engine, but if you dont have the tools to lift the engine out of there,m you may be limited to doing it in the truck

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Personally having done it myself both ways, i would pull the engine, but if you dont have the tools to lift the engine out of there,m you may be limited to doing it in the truck

I have all the stuff needed to pull it out. I just put this engine in sunday! It ran good, when I started it at the junk yard, so hopefully its just gona need the head gaskets. Atleast Im praying, lol

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have all the stuff needed to pull it out. I just put this engine in sunday! It ran good, when I started it at the junk yard, so hopefully its just gona need the head gaskets. Atleast Im praying, lol

Its a really back breaking job doing it in the truck, and its hard to lower the heads onto the block, but it can be done

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Its a really back breaking job doing it in the truck, and its hard to lower the heads onto the block, but it can be done

Thats what I was thinking. I got the complete head gasket set, and im taking a page from your book. I bought a can of that copper spray, and im going to coat the gaskets. I really hope I can get this done, and atleast keep it together for bout 3 months. Then the brand new built engine will be going in. I want to have everything done, so I can show up at the IDI Rally in style :sly

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. I got the complete head gasket set, and im taking a page from your book. I bought a can of that copper spray, and im going to coat the gaskets. I really hope I can get this done, and atleast keep it together for bout 3 months. Then the brand new built engine will be going in. I want to have everything done, so I can show up at the IDI Rally in style :sly

I didnt coat the head gaskets, but i dont see why you couldnt, i dont really know why i didnt:dunno

But the copper coat is some good stuff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online