head gasket leaking h2o

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we have a 2000 ram diesel thats leaking antifreeze from the front area of the head.how big of a job is this? i want to do this myself,what do i have to know.would a valve job be in order or not at 250k?please help w/ any info,thanks

J.Keith

Reaction score
Not too bad of a job at all.
If you have the gasket it can easily be done in a day if you know your way around a Cummins.
I wouldn't worry about doing a valve job on it unless you have some prior indication that there is a problem.

Batman

Reaction score
Watch your back, the head is very heavy.
I would suggest getting a repair manual and follow the steps.
Good luck

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking of a cherry picker,my back hurts just thinking about it,do you have to replace the head bolts too? thanks guys

J.Keith

Reaction score
A cherry picker will work. I use a special tool I have called "Friends":D

If you can afford it I would replace the stock headbolts with a set of ARP or comparable 12mm studs. You wouldn't really have to on a stock truck but it's nice insurance! They will run you about $450 from Summit.

You know I just read your first post again and I just wanted to make sure it is your HG. If it's coming from the front it could possibly be the T-stat housing thats leaking. Just a thought but I don't see alot of blown HG's on the Cummins unless they are modified. I have a 98 with almost 270k on it and never a problem and it's been making 450hp for the last 100k.
Just trying to see of I can save you some work. Maybe you could post a picture of the leak?

Good Luck!
Jeremy

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thaks guys, when the truck gets back in town,i will ck the leak out further,its on the road for us a lot,so its hard to pin it down,mike

Batman

Reaction score
Mopar1973man, thanks for posting the link. I don't remember where I bought my service manuals from, but they have helped me tremendously in the past.
George

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cummins is by far the easiest diesel to work on yourself....take your time, have some buddies over and your set. just leave the beer for after its fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online