HE351VE Remote Mount Turbo

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Something else I just thought about too, I also have a 3" cowl hood. Who knows how much that'd help but it at least does a lil bit.

I know exactly how much that would help... In the right spot, about 3"LOL.
Maybe if you relocate your battery, solenoid, and did some heater hose changing around, and ditched the plastic liner, you could utilize that area. If that turbo won't fit in an area THAT big, move on, find one that will. That would also make it EASY to do a snorkel. If thats your thing.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC1sFjnGn8

There you have it. Double overdrive, climbing a fairly good grade onto the 118 from Fall River while loaded.

That's the difference between a wastegated Cummins N14, which would build 15 - 18 PSI as a 525 horsepower engine, and the VGT ISX cummins which builds about 39 PSI.

Both are big bore cummins engines, N14 is 14 liter and the ISX is 15 liter. That VGT makes the WORLD of difference!

wmoguy

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC1sFjnGn8

There you have it. Double overdrive, climbing a fairly good grade onto the 118 from Fall River while loaded.

That's the difference between a wastegated Cummins N14, which would build 15 - 18 PSI as a 525 horsepower engine, and the VGT ISX cummins which builds about 39 PSI.

Both are big bore cummins engines, N14 is 14 liter and the ISX is 15 liter. That VGT makes the WORLD of difference!

Thats awesome Goofy. That Cummins is just happy as a peach pulling that grade. Love it

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A double sided air cylinder is what I'm planning on using. Does the ISX use just a single sided air cylinder and is it controlled off boost or drive pressure?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A double sided air cylinder is what I'm planning on using. Does the ISX use just a single sided air cylinder and is it controlled off boost or drive pressure?

A lot of VGT turbo's from the factory are driven by the ECM. My TDI uses a handful of sensors, then the computer calculates where boost needs to be, and adjust the veins. Load, rpm, etc...so I wouldnt be suprised if that ISX would act like that.

My guess the reason the HE351 feels better than the 093/60-1 is because its ability to open up. Where as the 093 will boost to a certain psi, once it gets there drive pressure increases with load and rpm, and the hot side for the 093's are super small. The ability of the HE351 to open the veins up at higher rpm's certainly should help big time. My TDI I can really tell when the VGT starts to open up (WOT 2000ish rpm's), it makes the same amount of boost but when it opens up the engine has so much less back pressure.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya vgts are really good turbos. I can't wait to get my truck set up like I want to. Between my supercharger and the vgt, it should have massive low end torque. And it'll definitely be unique.

TDI vgts actually operate weird compared to the ones on bigger engines. They actually start in the open position and when the controller reads vacuum, it will close the vanes down to allow it to spool. I think they are set up like that for fuel economy reasons.

wmoguy

Reaction score
My guess the reason the HE351 feels better than the 093/60-1 is because its ability to open up. Where as the 093 will boost to a certain psi, once it gets there drive pressure increases with load and rpm, and the hot side for the 093's are super small. The ability of the HE351 to open the veins up at higher rpm's certainly should help big time. My TDI I can really tell when the VGT starts to open up (WOT 2000ish rpm's), it makes the same amount of boost but when it opens up the engine has so much less back pressure.

Darn good explanation in my book. I tell ya this turbo really makes my head hurt a little. I'm used to thinking more boost more power. But this turbo vs the 60-1 arent reall comparable. 6-7 psi with the 351 vs 15 psi with my .093 aren't even the same by the butt dynameter. The .093 I had prior just "moved" towards the other end of the road. This 351 sort of nudges you in your seat along the way. I'm not implying I've got some monster power pickup, I don't. I've had those and this one falls short by a long shot. None the less it's no shocker that a turbo beyond what is the factory options really opens these old "grandpa diesels" up. Mine to a much lesser degree than say NMB2 and that other guy he's friends with.
Out of curiosity I do wonder how it goes on the rollers. After I ditch the flex pipe sections and wrap up a few minor projects (new hubs and carrier bearing) ill see about getting it on the rollers.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a side by side pic of the HE351VE and 093 or sidewinder? I still would love to fit this under the hood and get a vacum or boost driven controller.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
same here for the 17" diameter is that the size of the turbo or the total clearance you need? i am wondering if i could re work my inner fender cutting it out and boxing it in lower with sheetmetal. i have plenty of clearance in my wheel well. i was looking on fleabay and it looks like you can pick up good used ones for a decent price.

wmoguy

Reaction score
same here for the 17" diameter is that the size of the turbo or the total clearance you need? i am wondering if i could re work my inner fender cutting it out and boxing it in lower with sheetmetal. i have plenty of clearance in my wheel well. i was looking on fleabay and it looks like you can pick up good used ones for a decent price.

The turbo itself is roughly 12" in diameter. It can not be clocked so you are stuck having the exhaust feeding into the turbine side from the top side.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Anyone have a side by side pic of the HE351VE and 093 or sidewinder? I still would love to fit this under the hood and get a vacum or boost driven controller.

I don't, but if you check out the first couple pages of this thread, there are some pretty decent pics showing the size of the he351ve. Its been a little while since I've seen the .093, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying it's more than double the physical size of a .093. (maybe almost triple the size)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score

IIRC the ISX uses a double acting cylinder. But it don't use drive or boost pressure to decide on how much boost to make. That is decided by a series of sensors in the form of a pyro, intake manifold pressure sensor, road speed, outside temperature, and some even say my air bag pressure to determint how much load, mow much throttle I am giving it and if the truck is lugging down.

I have said it here before, and I am going to say it again. The VGT on that ISX will blow your MIND! I wish I could take you on a trip in the old W900L with the 525 wastegated N14 525 horsepower cummins, then take you for a drive in the 550 ISX VGT in this T800. It;s only another 25 horsepower and 200 Ft. lbs of torque in the difference, but the way this thing makes it's power it's like you have 1000 horsepower at your command.

I suspect this truck with react the same way with it's HE351 strapped to it. It will make you feel like you are working with a 6.7 powerstroke under the hood.

wmoguy

Reaction score
IIRC the ISX uses a double acting cylinder. But it don't use drive or boost pressure to decide on how much boost to make. That is decided by a series of sensors in the form of a pyro, intake manifold pressure sensor, road speed, outside temperature, and some even say my air bag pressure to determint how much load, mow much throttle I am giving it and if the truck is lugging down.

I have said it here before, and I am going to say it again. The VGT on that ISX will blow your MIND! I wish I could take you on a trip in the old W900L with the 525 wastegated N14 525 horsepower cummins, then take you for a drive in the 550 ISX VGT in this T800. It;s only another 25 horsepower and 200 Ft. lbs of torque in the difference, but the way this thing makes it's power it's like you have 1000 horsepower at your command.

I suspect this truck with react the same way with it's HE351 strapped to it. It will make you feel like you are working with a 6.7 powerstroke under the hood.

I can't confirm it, but I'm pretty certain this is how the turbo's are controlled on the new 6.7 Cummins w/ the VGT. What I do know is they have a gob of electronics, including a servo motor with some type of stepper gear on it, that controls the vein position. From what I've read, those electronics have been problematic, and in general, in lieu or repairing the electronics, if the Dodge pickup is under warranty they just replace the whole turbo. This is one reason the HE351VE can be bought up pretty cheaply on places like Fleabay.

It's pretty funny, tonight I was screwing around on my way home from work on a county road. I know it's got more giddy up w/ less boost. I have an obnoxious exhaust leak from a deformed Y pipe that doesn't quite have the right bend and seal up tight to the exhaust manifold. Even w/ 12 psi and an annoying exhaust leak the speedo was climbing much faster than w/ the .093, and with less EGTs as well. Love it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7