Having my engine overhauled, anything special i should have shop do?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Believe Justin mentioned the turbo pistons were better built for the higher EGTs and the ceramic coating wasnt necessary for my setup. I'll call and talk to him again about it. I have no real knowledge of bottom ends but how well does the ceramic stay stuck to the pistons. I'd hate to see it flack off and score cylidner walls, ceramic is much harder than steel. As it is now, i run a bull moose and mister and with my water intercooler i have zero EGT problems with my wastegate set at only 7psi. I would think with more air my EGTS should be lower right?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all turbos, no matter if there on a diesel or gas engine do nothing but cram air into the engine.
shaving the slugs, running lower compression, allows the turbo to fill the cylinder more. giving you more room for extra air.
theres a small amount of room you can work with, but .020 wont affect your start-ability.

my next engine i will be shaving the slugs.

justins ceramic coating is a fairly light coat for thermo barrier.
as you may not need it, it dont hurt to coat them either.
my EGT's were HOT, 1300 with a bull moose at 9.5*
mister injectors also.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my water intercooler is just extremely efficient at removing turbo heat and cooling the charge air. Even lugging the engine floored with a bull moose from 45-75mph i saw it only hit 1150F. Now it's not towing anything but the truck is heavy and lugging it blowing out black smoke produces way more EGT than anything else or so i've noticed. Cruising at 65 with a 6klb trailer i maight see 550F egts and 3psi of boost. I think i might just leave the shaving and cermic coating out, i'll have a spare engine to do that with if im not happy with the current one or want more power. Which cam would you pick, Justins or Type4s? I deifnitely want a differnt cam and i will get the 910s thanks for the link! Justin said 1.800" install height and that i should only need to shim the exhaust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV_Esg5MiA0

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to my machine shop, he said would balance it for $250 but he really doesnt think its necessary and really wouldnt want to take my money to do that. He said on the high revving engines he builds he does but on this engine he wouldnt recommend it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
250 is cheap. I do have a new set of 20 over ford turbo pistons with rings and pins

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell him the heavy parts turning slower weigh as much as high revving light parts when out of balance. I had a 903 Cummins balanced, made a huge difference. Fenders and mirrors don't shake anymore on the road. It makes a difference

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see what size pistons he says I need next week when he takes it apart. I'd be very interested in them if I need them. I'll ask him to balance it I'm sure he will. That's funny my trucks mirror do shake a lot when idling, I have those huge stainless mirrors with all the bars. If he doesn't want to I'll mail it out to someone who will but it'll probably cost me $250 just in shipping haha

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they make new engine mounts for these trucks? I'd like to replace mine when i have the engine out. Is there any special bushings for the front radiator core support or are stock replacement ones fine?

Do they make GOOD replacements i mean. If so what brand is a good replacement. I've got some awful replacement rubber bushings/mounts before

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
250 is cheap. I do have a new set of 20 over ford turbo pistons with rings and pins

And whats the dealio on those pretell? Hmmmm....inquiring minds want to know....

Can see it now....my sleeved block bored 0.020 and retrofitted with my turbo crank and rods installed....or bore my turbo block ....thus keeping sleeved reman intact.

BTW still got complete C6 w VRV and other goodies waiting for pickup :sly

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to my machine shop, he said would balance it for $250 but he really doesnt think its necessary and really wouldnt want to take my money to do that. He said on the high revving engines he builds he does but on this engine he wouldnt recommend it.

Talk to another machinist then....BALANCING makes a big freaking difference...