Has anyone ever poped a head with ARP studs ??

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever popped a head with ARP studs ??

Just curious if anyone has blown a head gasket with Arp studs turbo or not, just one of thoes weird questions that pops into you head.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh...that's what you meant..... ;Poke

I wasn't quite sure what POPED head meant....does the catholic church come bless yer head?;Poke LOL

Al

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone did. He put a piston in backwards and was running about 20 psi of boost at the time

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is cus the flame front was aimed at the gasket and not where it is supposed to be... Studs tend to hold pretty well, even under higher boost conditions.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hit 18 psi on this camping trip, man what a rush, air was perfect and pyro was 900, Ii also have seen 250 degrees climing a hill when the water pump took a dive in montana, was worried about gaskets then. still ok. I would stud any rebuild on these engines.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I personally think studs are a necessity on anything turbocharged. you're already so far into it for a rebuild or head gaskets. Studs are cheap insurance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The addition od studs to any idi engine is well worth the cost of doing it. No.. We have never seen a head gasket fail when the ARP studs are used. The new stock head bolt breaks at 153,000 psi. I had them tested for that breaking strength at a lab that does lots of work for NASA... The ARP studs psi is 220,000 psi or 200,000 psi... Its gone back and forth over the last 7 years so calling them will get the correct information. The ARP studs can be reused so many times without any problems of stretch or failure. Its one of those can't miss upgrades we do to these engines. Hydroboost is another great upgrade we do. You ask an interesting question.. I too wonder what it takes to lift a head with studs...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost a headgasket with ARP studs on the 6.9. Happend on the way to Mel's Rally in 2011. I was hauling the camper and got 30 miles from home and she started to puke coolant.

Found out later the deck on the block was warped, and likely the cause of the failure. Studs can only do so much, you've got to have all the other parts involed with the gasket in prime condition to keep the gasket alive and doing it's job.

Just studing an IDI isn't assurance you won't have a gasket failure.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is so painfully true. Just installing a stud set is not going to "fix" a mechanical problem like heath had. What happened to his engine was not something easily seen. I don't think I could have found it either and those that know me would understand that comment... I overanalize every thing I do..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online