hard to start when cold

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has been starting pretty hard when the engine is cold. The weather has been 40-60 degrees F outside temp. It starts a little easier if I cycle the glow plugs twice, but still takes 15 seconds or so and stutters a few times before firing. It didn't start doing this until I ran a few tanks of 50% WMO. I've back on straight #2 for atleast 3 tanks now and no improvement (not sure if the problem is related). It fires right up if I use the block heater so I don't think it is air in the lines.
Could the glow plugs be gunked up from running the WMO? Anybody have a similar problem or any suggestions?
thanks

WrecklesCustom

First Timer
Reaction score
I have a similar problem but it is only if I try to start on the rear tank. I put some Diesel Klean into both tanks because I thought my injectors may have been a little clogged up... This was to no avail.

I think it maybe my filter... I am going to switch it out tomorrow and I will let you know.

J

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can test the glow plugs to be sure they work with a ohm meter. Have You replaced them recently? What brand are they? Have You tried replacing the fuel filter and see if it improves, might not be this but since You run with wmo it is worth a try?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Moosestang suffers from this same malady. When I start it, it doesn't 'pop off" like my other trucks, it kinda stumbles to life, as the starter has to keep spinning it even when it is firing. Eventually the RPM's come up to a point where it will sustain itself, but it reminds me of starting up an EMD 567, rather than an IDI. The Moosestang has also been subjected to a serious diet of WMO, and no amount of running on streight #2 has corrected it. My theory is that I have serious coking around the injectors and/or glow plugs, which is blocking the fuel spray from hitting the glow plug directly. I also know I have at least 1 or 2 bad glow plugs, and this may be due to excessive reflective heating from the coking. I'll be pulling my glow plugs soon, as I convert from manual push button to a 7.3 controller system. I'll be documenting that, and when I have finished I'll be able to confirm if this was true.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...My theory is that I have serious coking around the injectors and/or glow plugs, which is blocking the fuel spray from hitting the glow plug directly...
Using two-stroke oil in my fuel I'm thinking I'll be pulling some injectors too...as the past 3 frigid morning gave me hell with my cold starts >missing, sputtering, smoking.
Just asking >but could faulty fender mounted solenoid have any reflection on this problem?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Moosestang suffers from this same malady. When I start it, it doesn't 'pop off" like my other trucks, it kinda stumbles to life, as the starter has to keep spinning it even when it is firing. Eventually the RPM's come up to a point where it will sustain itself, but it reminds me of starting up an EMD 567, rather than an IDI. The Moosestang has also been subjected to a serious diet of WMO, and no amount of running on streight #2 has corrected it. My theory is that I have serious coking around the injectors and/or glow plugs, which is blocking the fuel spray from hitting the glow plug directly. I also know I have at least 1 or 2 bad glow plugs, and this may be due to excessive reflective heating from the coking. I'll be pulling my glow plugs soon, as I convert from manual push button to a 7.3 controller system. I'll be documenting that, and when I have finished I'll be able to confirm if this was true.

Hey Mel,
Did you ever try this stuff?
http://www.amazon.com/Lubro-Moly-Diesel-Purge-Injection-Cleaner/dp/B002PEGAJ4
You mainline it from a bottle (with return back into the bottle) and watch the crud come out. I did not try it on my 7.3 but I did on my Mercedes and it worked real well.
Jim

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is there any way to remedy the coking? I've only put about 5 tanks of wmo through it. would that be enough to cause this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online