Hard to do, but the Chevy is up for sale......

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
After driving around Maui for the last week, there's no way I can realistically bring the ChevyNational here. It's just too big for most of the roads and I don't want to see it rust away here. So, I'm going to have my wife put an ad up for it in Nevada for $6500/OBO. New paint, interior and tires, has a shell and rack. Loads of custom work to fit the 6.9 w/Banks Sidewinder and E4OD. I don't expect to get near that price, but I'll see what happens. :puke:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the Maui move definitely permanent? If not, is storage even a remote possibility?

Also, just curious (and I'm guessing you've looked into this), if you were to take the truck to the islands, how much would shipping cost?

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shipping $5k.

Too big for Maui??.... Ooooh yeeeah! A dually takes up a lane-n-a-half in most places other than the 2 lane freeway! Forget going the road to Hana or up to Haleakala.

That said, the construction guys over there would probably love that truck.... just you'd get sick each time you saw it.... rust, dents, chunks out of dually walls..... you know, the living rot of vehicle cancer. And see it you would, nowhere to go to get away. Not a lot of pretty cars over there, unless it's a rental.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Yeah, I couldn't stand to see it rust or get abused here. The main highways are the only places I could take it. I'm driving a work van, '10 Ford E250 and it's almost too big for some roads and most parking spaces. And on the Ford van, it has 20K on it and the rotors are already warped and the steering is way loose. cookoo Is this standard on Fords? My last Chevy van had 110k on it and felt as good as the new one that replaced it.....

Back to the truck, cost to ship it would be $1000-1500. But I just don't have a need for it here. I may leave it at my folks house in NV for a while, I just have to make sure my dad doesn't try to start or drive it. If it didn't start right off I know he would get under the hood and mess with it until he broke something.....

Warden, I'm hoping to be able to retire here. :hail My wife and I have been looking for a way to get here for the last few years and when this position opened up I had to take it. Really good money and lots of potential. Perfect for building my retirement fund back up (after depleting it a bit to get here)!

It's funny, a couple of my buddies that didn't see why I was putting so much work into building the Chevy over the last few years are now telling me what a shame it would be to sell it! "It's just too nice and all the mods you did to it!" My wife wants to sell it to get some $$, but now that I cashed out some stocks, that isn't an issue. Maybe she'll back down for a bit and we'll see what happens. I'm really torn about it...... :confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd put it in storage and wait it out a couple of years. you might change your mind about living on the islands. Roughly half of my dad's side of the family wound up on the islands, but most of the elders have moved to kali over the years. most of them cited how expensive it was to live there on a retirement income.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I think the number of people that get "island fever" is 75-80% or somewhere near there. My wive and I have done pretty good when it comes to relocating. Haven't had a bad experiance yet. Now that $$ aren't an issue, I'm going to see if I get any bites on it and if not go ahead and store it for a while. Who knows, I may find a use for it here. Sorry I couldn't make it down to see you face to face. Maybe on one of my trips back sometime. And my buddy in Santa Clara will be coming to pick up the trans and other bits to bring down to you. If that fails, when is the Reno tow show you were going to?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the number of people that get "island fever" is 75-80% or somewhere near there. My wive and I have done pretty good when it comes to relocating. Haven't had a bad experiance yet. Now that $$ aren't an issue, I'm going to see if I get any bites on it and if not go ahead and store it for a while. Who knows, I may find a use for it here. Sorry I couldn't make it down to see you face to face. Maybe on one of my trips back sometime. And my buddy in Santa Clara will be coming to pick up the trans and other bits to bring down to you. If that fails, when is the Reno tow show you were going to?
those clowns putting on the Tow Show this year shot themselves in the foot. They decided to put it on in San Deigo in Oct.cookoocookoo
so outside of a run to Brian's in Placerville, I don't have any reason to head over to Reno this summer unfortunately.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm driving a work van, '10 Ford E250 and it's almost too big for some roads and most parking spaces. And on the Ford van, it has 20K on it and the rotors are already warped and the steering is way loose. cookoo Is this standard on Fords? My last Chevy van had 110k on it and felt as good as the new one that replaced it.....
That doesn't sound right to me...maybe the E-250 brakes are weaker than on the E-350, but I'm driving late-model E-350's (standard 15-pax vans as well as C&C dualies with short-bus bodies on them) on a daily basis for work...most of the vans are 2009-'11's, and I haven't noticed any issues with the brakes or steering, and I'm pretty **** about that sort of thing. Certainly, they steer exponentially better than my truck does :shocked: (I'm pretty sure my truck needs a new steering gearbox; everything else in the steering/suspension's either been replaced or has been declared good by someone who knows what he's doing)

Back to the truck, cost to ship it would be $1000-1500. But I just don't have a need for it here. I may leave it at my folks house in NV for a while, I just have to make sure my dad doesn't try to start or drive it. If it didn't start right off I know he would get under the hood and mess with it until he broke something.....

Warden, I'm hoping to be able to retire here. :hail My wife and I have been looking for a way to get here for the last few years and when this position opened up I had to take it. Really good money and lots of potential. Perfect for building my retirement fund back up (after depleting it a bit to get here)!
Thanks for letting me know what shipping would be...it's something I've always been curious about it. I've put serious thought into going overseas, and would love to take the truck with me if possible...and that price actually sounds fairly reasonable.

Re: retiring, that would be cool :D although I would recommend listening to towcat...spend some time there and make sure that it's really feasible before making a permanent commitment. As to the truck...most likely you're never going to be able to get the $$ out of it that you put into it, and for that reason alone I would advocate storing it unless doing so is not financially feasible...not to mention the "intangibles" of letting go of all the hard work you've put into it to make it nice and exactly what you want. I guess what it boils down to is, unless you're 110% certain that there will never again be a time in your life when you will have need for a pickup truck, the time's going to come when you will regret selling it. Hell, I still regret selling a few of the vehicles I used to own, even though doing so was the most logical option at the time...

Just my $.02...best of luck with whichever decision you go with ;Sweet

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
We won't be buying a place for at least a few years. Unless something drops into our laps that just can't be refused! I have friends on most of the islands and have been asking loads of questions. Didn't come into this blindly like most do. I wasn't about to give up everything we had in Nevada if this wasn't a good move. But we are playing it somewhat safe, just in case. Always have an exit strategy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle