hard starting

norfolkff05

Reaction score
i'm brand new to diesels, just got an 89 f250 extcab, 4x4, 5spd, 7.3l all stock with 236k on the clock. i put about 200 miles on it, then it started acting up. as i'm decelerating, at about 1500 rpms and just let off the accel., the truck started to shimmy pretty rough until i hit the accel again. that was sat night. sunday morn, it was really hard to start. it would crank fine, but just wouldnt fire. finally got it going, then as i was coming to a stop at my folks' place, it died. i haven't been able to start it since. i was running off the front tank, at about half full, then tried switching to the rear (completely full) with no change. as i was cranking though, fuel started to back out of the filler cap??? i've never heard of anything like it before. i know the fuel pump and filter are new. i disconnected the fuel line before and after the filter and then turned it over and i got pretty good flow both times, the flow after the filter was a bit less than before it. any ideas? anyone ever heard of the fuel backing out the filler cap like this? sorry for such a long post, but hopefully you'll can help a guy out!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm brand new to diesels, just got an 89 f250 extcab, 4x4, 5spd, 7.3l all stock with 236k on the clock. i put about 200 miles on it, then it started acting up. as i'm decelerating, at about 1500 rpms and just let off the accel., the truck started to shimmy pretty rough until i hit the accel again. that was sat night. sunday morn, it was really hard to start. it would crank fine, but just wouldnt fire. finally got it going, then as i was coming to a stop at my folks' place, it died. i haven't been able to start it since. i was running off the front tank, at about half full, then tried switching to the rear (completely full) with no change. as i was cranking though, fuel started to back out of the filler cap??? i've never heard of anything like it before. i know the fuel pump and filter are new. i disconnected the fuel line before and after the filter and then turned it over and i got pretty good flow both times, the flow after the filter was a bit less than before it. any ideas? anyone ever heard of the fuel backing out the filler cap like this? sorry for such a long post, but hopefully you'll can help a guy out!!!
welcome to the site.
here's part of your problem.
your fuel switching valve is needing replacement. The biggest indicator is the filler overflowing. The supply side is working properly but the return side is not switching and as a result, one of the tanks is being emptied and the other is being filled by the return fuel. It's a pricey part and dealer only. Change that out and your problems will be solved. Oh yea, why would it cause a no-start? The IP is getting pressurized from the fuel and it shuts down as a result. You may wind up having to change out the return line caps too.

norfolkff05

Reaction score
so i replaced the fuel switching valve which fixed the fuel overflow problem, but it still won't start. i found good fuel flow to the ip, but none coming from it. i opened several ip to injector lines and there was absolutely no fuel flow. i'm taking that to mean the ip is the problem? should i buy a new one or is there some way to test mine? the ford dealer wants $605 for a reman....is that a good price?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure your IP fuel shutoff solenoid is working properly. There's two wires going into the top of the pump. it's the thicker of the two wires. have your ignition in the "on" position. listen for the solenoid clicking as you disconnect the wire. if you are hearing the noise, then chances are your IP was damaged from getting it's return line blocked. I don't use the dealer for IP's . google up "midwest fuel injection" and you'll get their site. They don't zing for a core if you return yours in 30 days. Great people to deal with.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also if you're near an International parts dealer they're alot more reasonable on parts. I paid $382 for my reman IP last month. Had it in 1 day as well.

norfolkff05

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i'll check the fss when i get home tomorrow. yea, mwfi has the ip for $382, much better than ford. i'll keep you all posted on my progress.

norfolkff05

Reaction score
running great!

got the rebuilt ip in town for $450 and put it on this morning. after bleeding the lines, it started on the first try!! runs like a champ. thanks for the help

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congratulations!
sorry you had to have this experience with IDI ownership so soon. They are a pretty rugged truck overall though. At least you won't have to worry about the IP for a while;Sweet
If you haven't gotten it timed yet, you really should.
post a little info of where you're at in the "user CP" section and it's fairly certain there will be members somewhat near you who have the equipment:thumbsup:

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
In my experience if you disconnect the fss then you better hear a clicking noise if not then the fss is stuck in the open or closed position this is how i check all of mine after i have had them open for repairs