Hard Starting in the Morning

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... time to pick your brains again. My pick-up has been starting really hard. It began about 9 months ago, after it was in the Ford House at Anson, TX. The first thing that happened was they messed up a fuel filter O-ring and then fired the truck up. It was running ragged so these geniouses figured that while the truck was in their bay, it magically cratered 3 injectors. (ya, right) So they send me home in a loaner and replace the injectors. Come to find out, it was a crimped fuel filter O-ring, the injectors were fine and they need more OJT with their computer. Two weeks later, 2 of the 3 injectors that they replaced really did crash and I was walking. So they towed it, fixed it and life was great after that. Now for the rest of the story. Since then, starting the pick-up in the morning takes a full 6 to 8 second count before it starts. One morning when it was really, really cold (hard freeze) I thought the battery was going to give up before it started but thankfully it didn't. I turn the key and start counting.."one-one thousand, two-one thousand"...to 6 and sometimes 8. Then it finally starts. Anyone want to venture a guess? Got 94,000 miles on it now, change fuel filters and oil like it's a religion. Changed out an EGR valve about 10,000 miles ago but no other problems of any kind. Opinions greatly appreciated!!

zam250

Blowin Coal Smoke
Reaction score
I live in Fort Collins Colorado and the same type of long wait is happening to me. Sometimes it even happens when its plugged in which makes me think th block heater aint workin. Do you use your block heater?

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
One thing to check that's cheap and easy is to get the batteries checked, even though the motor spins over good doesn't mean that your getting enough juice for the IDM to fire the injectors.

One other thing, are you getting any smoke when cranking??

Ak HDM

Reaction score
Have they checked HPOP oil pressure while cranking? It sort of sounds to me like it's taking a while to build enough pressure to fire the injectors.
I have an '06 & it takes about 4-5 seconds to light when it's cold. It's been that way since new. Only 5000 mi. on it, though.
I wonder if there isn't a leak on the oil rail at the injectors that were replaced. There is a procedure for checking for leaks, the dealer should know.

zam250

Blowin Coal Smoke
Reaction score
What is the temp at which you should plug in for the night? During the winter around here I have been only pluggin in below 15 degrees

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
32 and below for 6.0s

glow plug module turning the glow plugs on?

any bad glow plugs?

the hpop could have a leak in the system, has your 05 ever had the snap to connect fiting replaced? its a fitting they starts to wear down its o ring and quick connect fitting to the point where it will bleed off high pressure oil, but it usually on occurs after running the truck for a while, turning it off, then trying to restart it

the top fuel filter o ring was installed improperly? or the bottom ones o ring?

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
32 and below for 6.0s

I find this really hard to believe, since Im under the impression that newer 6.0's don't even come equipped with block heater cords. The heating element is built into every one, but the cord and plug have to be ordered. Seems like (at 32 degrees) that would leave half of the 6.0s in the US with a less than ideal starting situation. My worn out 6.2 started plenty of times around zero when I'd forget to plug it in. Hell she even fired up with minimal cranking, after being left out on Loveland pass one night with windchills in the -10 to -20 range.

You must be registered for see images attach

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find this really hard to believe, since Im under the impression that newer 6.0's don't even come equipped with block heater cords. The heating element is built into every one, but the cord and plug have to be ordered. Seems like (at 32 degrees) that would leave half of the 6.0s in the US with a less than ideal starting situation. My worn out 6.2 started plenty of times around zero when I'd forget to plug it in. Hell she even fired up with minimal cranking, after being left out on Loveland pass one night with windchills in the -10 to -20 range.

your right, 06 or 05 they started puting it on as an option, dumb isnt it cookoo

the international motor guy said 32 is what they want. now them saying 32 doesnt mean after 32 degrees it wont fire, ive fired 6.0s unpluged in the warmth of 10 degrees before, they come to life just fine

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm back!! My computer has been down and I've been soooo busy! Viruses, spyware and a bunch of other star-wars sounding stuff, shut me right down and I've been on the road for work. I'm grateful to all of you who responded to my question.

Here's a few answers to the questions y'all asked:

1. I live in Texas and don't need to plug in. It never gets cold enough, long enough where I live and my pick-up sleeps in-doors. (Hail country!)

2. No block heater plug-in.

3. Problem is on initial start, not on restart. Restarts fine.

4. Top fuel filter o-ring.

5. Battery is okay, no smoke when cranking or starting up.

Ak ADM wrote:

"Have they checked HPOP oil pressure while cranking? It sort of sounds to me like it's taking a while to build enough pressure to fire the injectors.
I have an '06 & it takes about 4-5 seconds to light when it's cold. It's been that way since new. Only 5000 mi. on it, though.
I wonder if there isn't a leak on the oil rail at the injectors that were replaced. There is a procedure for checking for leaks, the dealer should know."

My tech said haul it in, he'll look at it..so that's the next step. Pick-up has 102,000 miles on it now. I'm a crop insurance adjuster and we've been going nuts here in Texas with excessive moisture and hail damage issues, so I haven't done anything about it.

Since I'm sure I've never told you guys that I'm glad you're here, I really am GLAD YOU'RE HERE. Thanks for treating me the way you do.

Priscilla

Last edited:

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will keep you posted. If the weather would co-operate, I would have time to put Tweedy (the 3/4 Ton Canary) in the shop...but Mother Nature's having her way with Texas right now and alas...I am a crop adjuster. It's been non stop. Hail, wind, freeze, more hail, more hail and more hail...followed by excessive moisture and hail. Whew! Good for the check book, bad for Tweedy.

RescueF250

Reaction score
As for the no block heater thats false. My 6.0 has a block heater, you might need to dig up there and actually find it, took me a couple trys to find mine. As for your cold start problem, you might need to reprogram to fix the cold start issue mine had the same problem, but also mine is tuned.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the no block heater thats false. My 6.0 has a block heater, you might need to dig up there and actually find it, took me a couple trys to find mine. As for your cold start problem, you might need to reprogram to fix the cold start issue mine had the same problem, but also mine is tuned.

for some 2005's and every 6.0 above 2005, ford had the bright idea "lets get rid of the block heater cord" so the plug is still there but theres no cord going to the front of the truck, your 6.0 being an 03-04 does have a block heater cord, i think it may be an optionable item, but i know they do dealer installs now for this, maybe they did it to make techs money, who knows, but dumb idea

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online