GP's Wellman vs Bosch testing

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to testing the Wellman vs the Bosch GP's. After about 8 test cycles the Bosch, all (8) of the Motorcraft burned out, two of them actually swelled. The four (4) Wellman with stood all (8) test cycles. In the test fixture, the top (4) are Wellman, the bottom (4) are Bosch. All are the ZD9 series GP's.
Testing was done at 50*F.

The first test (see video) was with all Bosch with one (1) Wellman, the GP tip just barely heated up, that was due to a bad ground. To me, that shows all ground connections must be clean and tight, especially from battery to engine. The Bosch GP's in the fixture had been in there for 2 yrs., all the GP controller would do was click, had to remove them and actually wire brushed them, also got (8) 10.01 mm nuts to be sure they would be tight and a good ground. Reinstalled all (8) Bosch for a second test, all GP's glowed very good, no clicking until the cycle was complete.

After the first test, I put (4) Wellman on top and (4) Bosch on the bottom.

Some may notice the volt meter shows 14.6 VDC, thats because a battery charger was hooked up. When testing the voltage reduced to 11.6 VDC. The battery used for testing is a Azone Gold and was fully charged.

EDIT:When I tested all the Wellman, I noticed I didn't have the VOM B+ lead after the Z strip, that lowers the voltage 1-1/2 volts.

Have yet to test with all Wellman GP's in the fixture, will do that soon and up load the video. Stay tuned. Now I've gotta figure out how to upload the U-tube videos.

Summation:
If I had to choose between Wellman or Bosch, I would buy the Wellman.
Of course it's anyones choice to what they want to buy, anything but Autolite or Champion.
Now if I can find out how to download from U-tube.
Here is a link to testing 2 yrs ago.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?67107-GP-Testing-2&highlight=Glow+plug+testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns56zx6j5-8&feature=em-upload_owner

Videos continued on next post.

Last edited:

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the current set of 6.9 style wellman dual coils in my 6.9 in 2008, I had one fail on the first set that I put in in 06 in the at the time 1 year warranty period, and they replaced it no issue. The replacement set was due to leaving the truck at a friends place with a pushbutton in -20 for a week... Came back to 2 dead batts, a dead starter and 8 dead glow plugs...
For the record, they have survived MANY 30+ second glow cycles in that time due to my chosing to live in the land of cold and are all still functional and not swelled.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You saying when you click on the > on the video in the post they come up private?.

I went to Youtube and made them public.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Videos work now. If these wellmans are indeed self regulating, I might have to give them another try. I tested a model 088 years ago, and the tip swelled up on me. Returned the rest and got a set of Beru's instead. I like the idea of self regulating glow plugs but the thought of a damaged piston crown kept me away from trying them again.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OLDBULL8, are these the modified plugs from last week?
or are they over the counter wellmans?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There your 20 bucs worth:D I bought on Ebay. They stood up well during the testing.. Did ya check the videos? I could only put 1 video per post. I don't think I mentioned it, but 2 of the Bosch did swell. I'll test all 8 Wellmans today on the test fixture.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oldbull, in video number 2 you say the upper are wellman, lower are Beru. Looks like the Berus heat up MUCH hotter than the upper wellmans?
But in video 3 the lowers are Beru and they are dead?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oldbull, in video number 2 you say the upper are wellman, lower are Bosch. Looks like the Bosch heat up MUCH hotter than the upper wellmans?
But in video 3 the lowers are Beru and they are dead?

Yup, thats correct. the Bosch died on that test.

Edit: I corrected the name from Motorcraft/Beru to Bosch.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imma have to wait to watch vids when i go to work, this computer is junk.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wellman GP testing.
Testing all 8 GP's, cycled 12 times before video was made. They look real good, no swelling. My GP controller crapped out making the video, had to energize GP's by hand, so the cycle is longer than the controller 12 second max heat cycle. My hand heat cycle was 35 seconds.

Please keep comments to Questions, not what your experience has been with Wellman.
You judge for yourself from the videos, whether you would buy them. I would not recommend the Bosch.
I have NOT tested them in a vehicle.
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U Click on Wellman GP testing.

These GP's were bought on ebay from Bostic Motors. Set of 8 $55 shipped.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Xv9igTyRc

Looks like after 10 seconds they should fire no problem even if they continue to get hotter up to 30 seconds. Seems like they're pretty safe to use. I managed to burn out a set of berus in 20 seconds due to a faulty controller once. They all came out but still, you just demonstrated 30 seconds with no ill effects. Have you been able to fail on of these with a continuous burn?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online