got my "new" truck

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
ok, so i broke down and got a stuper duty. the 96 i was lookin at was a little rougher than i thought, and he wouldnt go below 13,700cookoo . i found a 99cc 4x4 xlt for another thousand. its a lot cleaner, and itsmells better! ;Sweet it's bone stock, except for a set of gauges, so get to play a little. i also got to keep my 95, so it's a dedicated toy now;Really so what are the easy mods for a 99? does a homemade intake require the sensor on it? wont get in trouble if the cat "falls off" will i? i plan on gettin the ts chip reflashed for the SD, any suggestions? any other ideas? oh yeah, i'll get some pics up soon as i detail it!:cheers:

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
also, can anyone tell me if it's an early or late 99? the vin is:

1ftnw21f8xec20812

it has a solid axle front end. is that standard on both models? what else should i look for? thanks guys!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
SFA is standard on all superdutys, You need to look at the AIH (air intake heater) if you have one its a late 99 if you dont its a early...

Attachments

• Y pipe.JPG
    Y pipe.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 13

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
SFA is standard on all superdutys, You need to look at the AIH (air intake heater) if you have one its a late 99 if you dont its a early...

Newbie question, but why would you delete the air heater? Is that workbench Kermitt Green?;p :D

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Newbie question, but why would you delete the air heater? Is that workbench Kermitt Green?;p :D

LOL that was my son's choise in room color and we painted everything that color... Including his bookcase!

The AIH blocks about 15-20% of the air flow in the Y pipe. It does nothing for cold starts, only comes on if your parking brake is on, the oil temp is above a set point, air temp is below, and then it still rarely comes on...

Attachments

• bookcase and kite.JPG
    bookcase and kite.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Joseph and bed.JPG
    Joseph and bed.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Joseph and Reese 2.JPG
    Joseph and Reese 2.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 5

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i'm not sure if this is 100% accurate but my eraly '99 has a small Powerstroke V8 emblem on the front fender (similar to the Triton emblems on gassers) and no emblems on the doors. this is the only obvious exterior difference i know of on the early '99s. the front wheel bearing hub assemblies and brake rotors are different but that's tough to see without pulling stuff apart and measuring. i think the turbos are a little smaller on the early '99 vs later.

looking for the build date on the drivers door jamb sticker would be the best way to determine it. sorry i dont know the cutoff date though. mine was built 9/98.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The easiest 100% sure way to tell is to look for the AIH... The first thing I changed on my 99 was the fender badge...

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
thanks guys. mine has the small emblem on the fender, so best guess is its early 99. that should be the same turbo as in my obs, i think. it does have a wastegate, so i need to search the forum for ways around that! it's also already equipped with gauges, so i checked the boost and about all i could get without manual shifting was 16 psi. btw do you think beans will reflash my ts chip from the 95 to this truck? just a thought, since my brother is drivin the 95 now. also.. gotta love nuclear green in the kiddo's room!