EGT questions

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you still running the Glowshift gauges? My egts read what I considered high with the glowshift gauges running a 110 pump w/stage 1injectors intercooled empty uphill standard cab. like you around 950 not pushing it. I thought how in the hell am I going to tow anything. Swapped to Isspro and had much more reasonable numbers.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@jwsfarrier yes I am still using the glowshifts.

@Kdo58 where can I source a good down pipe? The one that came with my turbo kit I got from CDD didnt fit between my firewall and transmission, I had to manipulate it with a bench vice to make it fit, so it probably needs replaced.

I see R&D sells an upgraded down pipe with turbo adapter, but... Out of stock.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Lumberjackchuck where did you get your pipes? I thought about getting something bigger but don't want to break the bank. Technically I'm out of funds for the truck project, I had only saved up enough for the pump, injectors, intercooler and head work.

I used this kit. Made a huge difference for me. My stock exhaust was too restricted and I had trouble building boost.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Wow that's actually reasonably priced, I'll talk to the wife about if I can order it now.
What did you do for the down pipe?

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
This is one of the glaring issues of a mechanical fan system, they increase with RPM but not relative to the actual temperature, whereas a properly setup electric fan would scale with temperature. Only problem is getting an electric fan that moves as much air as the big stock mechanical.

Water **** injection can absolutely help lower your EGTs but you shouldnt NEED it unless you are heavily modified I imagine.

I wonder if anyone has tried running an oval down pipe? Or splicing an oval section into their downpipe?

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that's actually reasonably priced, I'll talk to the wife about if I can order it now.
What did you do for the down pipe?
I used Justin’s 3” down pipe with his stage one turbo.

I didn’t modify anything to get more clearance. Just wrapped the pipe good, then remove the transmission crossmember + driveshaft and tilt the trans and engine back and downward to get room to install it, then just jack it back up and it’s good.

Last edited:

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwsfarrier yes I am still using the glowshifts.

@Kdo58 where can I source a good down pipe? The one that came with my turbo kit I got from CDD didnt fit between my firewall and transmission, I had to manipulate it with a bench vice to make it fit, so it probably needs replaced.

I see R&D sells an upgraded down pipe with turbo adapter, but... Out of stock.
My firewall was massaged, you have to cut off a tab on the transmission.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Good thing ive done both of those.
I'll call Justin later to ask if he has any down pipes floating around

ISPKI

Reaction score
Oh yeah, ive heard that his fan makes a considerable difference. Whats the 6.4 fan clutch conversion? I feel like I could get engine parts from a junked 6.4 cheap and easy...

What is the opening of your downpipe and how much clearance do you have to work with before hitting the firewall?

Only problem with an oval pipe is that in order to maintain equivalent flow, the width dimension needs to be some magnitude larger. So to achieve equal flow to say a 3" round pipe but you need a 2" min dimension oval, your major dimension ends up needing to be something like 4.5" inches or some such.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Info about it is here

I had to squish it pretty considerably to get it to clear the bell of the transmission, plus slice a side of it and angle the flange a little more to mate to the turbo. Frankly I feel like it wasn't made correctly, and whom I purchased it from didn't want to do anything about helping me fix it so.....

It is squished almost half in size.

Hence why I need to find a good replacement down pipe to adapt the exhaust to.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Are you sure the turbo is mounted correctly? Seems *really* odd to have to modify a pipe that much to fit it, especially a purpose built kit.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Are you sure the turbo is mounted correctly? Seems *really* odd to have to modify a pipe that much to fit it, especially a purpose built kit.
Ive had the turbo off several times, including when I just did the head work. I'm 100% sure its on right.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ordered an isspro egt gauge.
Still waiting to hear from Justin about the down pipe.

So close to having this project done I can almost taste it.