Got gauges!!! Now what should they read?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Cant you adjust a wastegated turbo, like the factory unit, to get more boost? I thought I heard that you could shorten the wastegate rod, and you could get more boost.

I would say that 1200 * is fine, if your probe is right in the exhaust manifold. If I were to see 1300 I would back out though, 1200 is probably around the max sustanable egt.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin is right, the 1200*F is fine if it is truly a max reading, but what if your gauge is reading 100* too low? What if one of your cooling jets is clogged a little bit. What if you take a phone call while you're driving(not that you should but you know how it goes...) you hang up and oh crap, I'm at 1350!! I just like a little bit of a fudge factor. Poolguy your gauge could be reading a little too hot, or your timing could be too far advanced by just a hair. What is your max boost? Heath, you and a couple other guys have reported lower EGT with Ken's pump, and it would no doubt be the same way with one of Mel's IPs. That's because they retard the timing curve a little faster than the stock pump. I remember Travis, with his very turned up stock IP had EXTREME egts... while I believe a DPS pump would have been much better than that stocker.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Ignorance can be bliss.

Well, if ignorance is bliss, then I'm blistered!!!
I apreciate the help.
I remember reading recently in here somewhere that 1100 should be the highest you should let the EGT temp get, because pistons melt @ 1250. Or at least, that is what I think I remember reading. But today I ran into an old customer of mine who is medically retired (bad back) but was the diesel mechanic at the Ford store here from '86 till 2001. He told me that the pistons are safe at almost any temp the IDI is capable of generating in its stock form. Safe to at least 2000! He went on to say that the temp inside the manifold should be 1200 or so under hard acceleration but should fall rapidly as you let off the pedal (mine does). He also said that the probobility of sensor probe failure is quite high with the probe in the flame of the exhaust port inside the manifold (bad for the turbo) and should be relocated a little past the turbo. I know some of you guys say before, and some say after, and I say I think I'll move it (I would hate to damage that new turbo! 3 weeks old).
He also said to watch the engine temp as compared to the trans temp and that under normal conditions they should be within 20* or so of each other. If so, all is well (as long as they are in the normal range). Maybe everyone else knew this, I didn't, although it makes sense. Any way, as soon as the truck comes home, it's in Hilton Head for a comm. pool shoot, I'll move the probe and hope for normal readings. I'll let ya know.
Thanks for all the help, and I will be installing the 3 inch pipe if it doesn't have it.
Chuck

rubberfish

Reaction score
It's best in the manifold. Besides, when was
the last time anyone saw a thread where a
guy has had the tip break off and kill his turbo.
Sure it's happened once or twice, but it's not
all too likely. Aluminum begins to melt at 1470
so it has been a common rule too stay 200
below that. That's why the 1250 mark. :)
And because of this 1470 mark, some like
to push the limit to the 1350 mark feeling
that a 100 cushion is enough. It's up too you.

suv7734

Reaction score
Ignorance can be bliss.

Well, if ignorance is bliss, then I'm blistered!!!
But today I ran into an old customer of mine who is medically retired (bad back) but was the diesel mechanic at the Ford store here from '86 till 2001. He told me that the pistons are safe at almost any temp the IDI is capable of generating in its stock form. Safe to at least 2000! Chuck

There are a lot of ideas about a safe EGT temp and where the probe is installed but... if this gentleman told you stock pistons will be safe to 2000*F he is sadly mistaken. The cast iron of the block/heads etc is nearing it's melting point at that temperature.

Just be careful of the any advice you receive and be sure to get a 'second opinion'.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe he needs to be medically retired! We've melted an aluminum can in a backyard bonfire...I'm pretty sure it wasn't 2000* back there! I had always heard the 1250 mark for melting on pistons....and that they could only stay alive above that because of thermal stasis, that is the piston tends to stay at whatever temp it is unless acted on by an outside force, the piston cooling jets spraying relatively cool 200-300* oil on the piston skirt, and cool air coming in from the intake or turbo. If rubberfish is correct about the 1470 melting point, it makes more sense how other diesels seem to be able to get away with higher EGTs than us. I really don't want to push the limit uh-uhh.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
OK, now I don't know what the hell to do! I need the truck to work, not just look good. (it looks damn good though) It has to be able to pull a load with out self destructing or something has to change. Should I have bought a newer truck with a PSD? I love this bodystyle (CC LB DRW) and I've spent quite a bit recently replacing everything to w/ brakes, Ford re-man trans, new Ford radiator, new batteries, turbo, tires, chrome dress up stuff like double roll bars w/ lights, side nerf bars, gauges, and on & on...... but it still has to work! I have employees that drive it as well, and they won't baby it like I would (they say they will, but they won't).
So, should I keep trying to make this work or bail and get a different truck??

'Blistered' (Chuck)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, now I don't know what the hell to do! I need the truck to work, not just look good. (it looks damn good though) It has to be able to pull a load with out self destructing or something has to change. Should I have bought a newer truck with a PSD? I love this bodystyle (CC LB DRW) and I've spent quite a bit recently replacing everything to w/ brakes, Ford re-man trans, new Ford radiator, new batteries, turbo, tires, chrome dress up stuff like double roll bars w/ lights, side nerf bars, gauges, and on & on...... but it still has to work! I have employees that drive it as well, and they won't baby it like I would (they say they will, but they won't).
So, should I keep trying to make this work or bail and get a different truck??

'Blistered' (Chuck)
hey blistered-
take a chill pill.
every gauge is going to read a little differently. Unless you pay and I do mean PAY for aircraft precision gauges, there's going to be a fudge factor in all your readings. That is why a little room is left on the readout before meltdown. Mounting location for the probe is critical for the readings, so what someone else tells you needs to be referenced accordingly. The further away from the exhaust port, the lower the number. I cheated on mime. Mime is on the crossover pipe just right below the exhaust flange. Also, my boost number is a little low to due to the IC and the mounting on the intake bell. I get max of 750-800 on a 9k gross on a hard grade(80 E/B between Sacto and Truckee) As with all gauges, give it some time and figure out the baseline or your "n-o-r-m-a-l" on your new gauges and when you see a change from your baseline, it's time to investigate further. There's a reason why the factory put in idiot gauges, too many drivers freaking out that their truck is not producing the same reading as their buddie's truck is.
relax and drive the dogshit out of your truck;Sweet I beat the stuffing out of mime every chance I get:D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the EGT issues, I wonder why more people do not use a dual guage setup with one single EGT probe say before the turbo and the other guage a dual head unit so you can install two pyros, one in each exhaust manifold?

Heck go to dual head units for kicks n giggles then you can do pre/post turbo, as well as L n R cyl heads.

Heck for that matter why not add Cyl Head temp guages too? Like ***** we can outfit the trucks to look like freakin air craft cockpit ifn we can get nuff stuff in there....including a Yoke steering wheel! Or how about a Jet fighter stick with multiple controls on yer shifter.

Just imagine a laptop as GPS and wow we could literally be just like these pics and have info overload too....rofl

Attachments

• temperature_pyrometer_medres.jpg
    temperature_pyrometer_medres.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Cylinder head temp guage dual head unit.jpg
    Cylinder head temp guage dual head unit.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Joystick.jpg
    Joystick.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Aircraft dash.jpg
    Aircraft dash.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I was trying to find the thread of who it was that went to the International plant and took a tour....

There he was told that you can run a Powerstroke/i444 ... all day long at 1250° without any worries...

It was on another site and they have been through many upgrades since I last saw the post... So I can't find it...

I personally have had mine over 1500° ..... nothing to brag about... I was pulling a loaded truck and trailer over a pass and was pushing it real hard when I realized that I was way too hot.... I let off of the go pedal and the temps immeadiatly went back to around 900° ... I stayed out of it for a few miles and took it up to around 1250-1275° for the rest of the pass... I continued to drive the truck for another 75,000 miles until I sold it and the other guy is still running it around town.

You can tell when your pushing your temps to high because you start to smell the turbo and surrounding area getting hot. Around 1300° is when it would really start smelling in the cab on my truck.

on edit:
I'm one of those guys that pushes his truck to 1350° ... when and if it goes then I will post the results of me being stupid... but my last truck had 150,000 on it with me using the 1350° as the redline to pull back at.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Thanks, that makes me feel better! I'll see what it does.
"riotwarrior" can I get that control handle in red?

Thanks guys
Chuck

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that makes me feel better! I'll see what it does.
"riotwarrior" can I get that control handle in red?

Thanks guys
Chuck

Dunno...suppose if ya was to paint it one could make it any color they wanted eh? Just think of all the "Stuff" one could connect to those buttons....winch controls, lights, over drive, JATO, ejection seats, you name it!

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Ejection seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It just never occured to me. And to think, I spent all that money on attys and alimony last time!
Oh well, live and learn.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ejection seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It just never occured to me. And to think, I spent all that money on attys and alimony last time!
Oh well, live and learn.
LOL...I told my ex play well and all will end well....or if your stupid about things, come and pick everything up it will fit into a PU and it's likely going to be a nice charcoal ash colour.....***** light weight and very messy to move!cookoo :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online