Got bad news on my 87

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got slowed down enough to actually work on my 87 and my 94 today. My 87 went down because of a chuff coming from the exhaust. Thought it was coming from number 7 or number 8. Ran a compression test today and got the bad news. 1-2-3-4-6-7-8 all had between 600 and 450. Most were about 520 so that made me feel good. Number 5 however had 0. So now I know and will tear it down tomorrow and install the spare head I have.

The 94 is another story. I'll say right now I'm not used to the factory turbo engine so I have no idea what noises it makes normally. I'm more used to Banks and Hypermax units. It fired up easy but kinda sounded funny from the turbo. I'll do a comp test on it monday to discover if it's in trouble also. So currently out of three IDI's down here the only one that runs is the biggest of the whole group.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burned/dropped valve on #5 you think? It just sucks that it had to be on the passenger side if it had to happen.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My numbering is off then. I've been working on ford gasser too long again. First cylinder drivers side. Pretty sure it's a burned exhaust or it's stuck in it's guide just slightly open.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's #2 cylinder then, they go 1-3-5-7 on the passenger side and 2-4-6-8 on the driver side, front to rear.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know. I've been working on gas fords for the entire week. My mind was stuck on their firing order.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, well then it shouldn't be too bad except I guess for the fact that the turbo has to come off. Let us know what you find.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point I'm thinking about just yanking the engine and putting it on the stand and do both headgaskets at the same time with studs to hold them down.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it has been down for a year now. I also have my company service truck to drive till it or 94 gets running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US