Good source for fuel pressure gauge?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
none of the local shops have fuel pressure gauges here so i will have to order one. An electrical or mechanical would work fine but i read here that the electric ones are better so you don't have to worry about fuel getting in the truck.
This truck is not nearly as nice as what most of you guys have so i don't need anything great, just something that works so i don't have to rely on the "fuel filter" light to tell me when i am about to stall in front of a semi truck on a road with no shoulder....
So i am trying to find something that is not so expensive. Anyone know where a good deal would be?
thanks,
Paul

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I tend to get stuff like that through Summit. They have a decent selection and prices are not bad. I picked up a mechanical gauge for around 20-25. Digital ones will cost more and are more likely to fail given the extra wiring...but if done right can be nice.
If you go the digital route- I like these although I have honestly not installed mine yet.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?m..._id=19&zenid=482d853fcccbee7eb7483634e83e5a88

You need to buy the sender separately though.

sassyrel

Reaction score
none of the local shops have fuel pressure gauges here so i will have to order one. An electrical or mechanical would work fine but i read here that the electric ones are better so you don't have to worry about fuel getting in the truck.
This truck is not nearly as nice as what most of you guys have so i don't need anything great, just something that works so i don't have to rely on the "fuel filter" light to tell me when i am about to stall in front of a semi truck on a road with no shoulder....
So i am trying to find something that is not so expensive. Anyone know where a good deal would be?
thanks,
Paul

your dealing with diesel--not gas--and a "bit" less pressure--dont sweat it--

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your dealing with diesel--not gas--and a "bit" less pressure--dont sweat it--

i know what you mean - but my truck stalled several times on the highway due to diesel fuel gelling last week (and it was only 10F at night AND i had at least 3X as much additive as needed and the filter was almost new) so i just thought it would be safer to have some kind of warning instead of relying totally on the "fuel filter" light

Paul

sassyrel

Reaction score
i know what you mean - but my truck stalled several times on the highway due to diesel fuel gelling last week (and it was only 10F at night AND i had at least 3X as much additive as needed and the filter was almost new) so i just thought it would be safer to have some kind of warning instead of relying totally on the "fuel filter" light

Paul

what i meant was--you dont need no stinking sending unit---just hook it direct to the fuel pressure hose, 5-7 psi--big deal--

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
I always run mechanical guages in a diesel. I do not trust electric ones, and the senders ALWAYS end up failing. Now my last few trucks have been electronically injecticed Cummins, so FP is much more important. But all the same, I run the hard plastic boost-type tubing and cover it with vacuum line for extra protectant. I look at it this way: if I'm in an accident that's bad enough to puncture the line AND start a diesel fire...I've probably been hurt bad enough already not to care! If it really bothers you my buddy used braded SS hoses when he ran his...

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Have you checked the heater in your filter housing? I am a bit of a newbie with these trucks, but every 7.3 I've seen has one. Just a thought.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Actually all of our trucks have a heater, even the early 6.9 units. The 6.9 units are inside of the fuel line running to the filter head though instead of being inside of the filter head.
I just bought a Safety Racing or something like that fuel pressure gauge for my regulator and if my truck dies and that gauge is reading low I know where the problem is... Back at the fuel pump on the frame rail. lol

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electric is the only way to go for fuel pressure gauge in the cab. Most state DOT's will nail you with a mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the cab. Plus, if it ever leaked, having diesel fuel spewing into the cab is not a good thing.

I run a 15 psi Autometer fuel pressure gauge and it has worked great for the last 4 years. Their mechanical fuel pressure gauge has "do not mount in cab" printed on the face.

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can mount a mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the cab, but it requires use of an isolator. with an isolator, you have a jumper hose running from the firewall to the gauge filled with an inert fluid like glycol( antifreeze) that transmits the signal from the fuel pressure that is isolated on the engine side of the firewall, essentially it is a mechanical sending unit and quite expensive.