Good deal for a ZF

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
That's a 460 setup.

If someone wants one of those, I located one for either $100 or $200, can't remember now, but something else came up I couldn't pass on. I might be able to figure out what number was his on my phone. It is a 460 tranny only out in Forest Grove.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can you tell looking at it that it's a gasser tranny?

Not the transmission, but the plate that is behind the clutch in the photo. That thin tin plate goes between the block and the transmission and acts as a dust cover for the bottom of the clutch/flywheel on 460 engines. On a diesel, there is the thick trans adaptor plate only. The diesel also uses a small dust cover that bolts the to the tranmission and the transmission adaptor plate.

On Edit: If there was a photo fo the behousing pattern, you can tell the difference there as well.

Heath

Last edited:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Not the transmission, but the plate that is behind the clutch in the photo. That thin tin plate goes between the block and the transmission and acts as a dust cover for the bottom of the clutch/flywheel on 460 engines. On a diesel, there is the thick trans adaptor plate only. The diesel also uses a small dust cover that bolts the to the tranmission and the transmission adaptor plate.

On Edit: If you there was a photo fo the behousing pattern, you can tell the difference there as well.

Heath

Or you can tell by calling and asking.LOL

Silverburner,,,,a 460 ZF can work on a diesel, but it has to be drilled/modified.
There is a recent post, it's more than I want to do or have tools for, but you may have access to what's needed at work.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Or you can tell by calling and asking.LOL

Silverburner,,,,a 460 ZF can work on a diesel, but it has to be drilled/modified.
There is a recent post, it's more than I want to do or have tools for, but you may have access to what's needed at work.

Yeah I know. I couldn't tell looking at it whether or not it was a 460 or diesel tranny, but I wouldn't have posted if I didn't know that the tranny could work with our trucks, even if it did require a little "typ4" modification. :D

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I happened to have talked to him already.

He seem like a good guy, the ad before indicated it was a 460, then I think he figured out it was called a ZF and changed some stuff.