Gonna get to my injectors and ip finally!!

gandalf

Reaction score
Glad you got it running again. Sounds good. Nothing beats a happy ending to an educational experience.;Sweet

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to a different shop to get the pump timed, and they had told me that my pump and injectors were wrong. He said the ip is for a turbo auto and the injectors are for 88-92 trucks or something like that. However, i did my research and bought the stuff from reputable people (Russ and Mel). So i don't know if he was trying to get me to pay him for new injectors and a pump or maybe he was just going 'by the book' he seemed like a reasonable guy and they have a very good reputation in town (he was actually my 1st choice for the install but they were backed up 3 weeks and i couldnt wait that long). Anyway, to be on the 'safe side' he said he timed the truck 12 degrees at 700rpm and 5 degrees at 2000rpm. It feels like the truck likes to 'lug' faster now. It starts up right away which is awesome but I still think there is some room for perfomance. It also stumbles at idle a bit. Fuel mileage is really good though ive gotten 280kms so far on slightly more than half a tank.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know why shops wont do what paid to do. If u tell them 8.5-9.5 at 2000 then thats where it should be set

One would think that the collective would actually know whta they are talking about lol

did u tell the shop where to set it?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
There will be a VERY noticeable difference in performance and economy bumping your timing up to 8.5 - 9.5 BTDC (via pulse method) as riot said.

gandalf

Reaction score
Sounds like the mechanic is going "by the book" on his answers. The fact is, the book was written in the shop, based on theory. The collective here on the forum has written it's own book, based on usage, trial and error. People here have found what works best, not what works "by the book".

Injectors---use BB code injectors if you can get ahold of them. Get them from Russ or Mel, either one of whom will pop test them.

IP--- There's actually not too much difference among the DB2 IPs made for Ford trucks. They'll all work on our trucks. If you get one of Mel's superbuilds you'll probable notice more smoke. If you buy an IP from a less than reputable builder you'll notice a drop in performance. If you buy from either Russ or Mel, and tell them what your application is, you'll get a top notch IP.

Timing---I really don't know where the mechanic got his information. So far as I know, we never time our trucks at 700 RPM. We always time them at 2000RPM. 5°btdc is not right either. The timing should be 8.5° to 9.5°btdc, on a warm engine. I'm not sure whether that will vary depending on his equipment.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I for sure trust the knowledge on this board more than general diesel mechanics. When he told me that stuff about me having the wrong pump etc. I kind of lost trust in that shop lol, he timed using aluminoscoty type deal from what I remember. Anyway I will goo back to him and tell him time it to 8.5_9 btdc at 2krpm . Is btdc mean before to dead centre? I guess igotta learn to be more assertive

And yes the pump is a baby moose from Mel and the injectors are bbs from Russ....i only buy from the best :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gavin, ask him if he used Lumi or Pulse, method, if he responds LUMI ask if he actually checks the fuel CETANE, and if not then he could be out on timing anyway...

Disregard any timing other than @ 2K timing...nothing else matters not idle not 750 RPM ETC. You are paying him to provide a service for you at your specifications. Have him check this board if he is in doubt of your information.

Pulse method is best due to knowing exactly when fuel is injected into the precup regardless of fuel.

LUMI would work if all you did was always buy same fuel and knew for a fact that fuel was never going to change what so ever, however we know that fuel changes with moisture, and time of year etc winter/summer blend differences and so forth.

Now in answer to your question...

ATDC = After Top Dead Center

TDC = Top Dead Center

BTDC = Before Top Dead Center

Hope that helps.

Al

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that most diesel mechanics don't know squat and don't have the tools to properly time an IDI. The scarey thing is you have to ask them what tools they have or else many will just time it by ear. Your better off doing the work yourself if you have the time and skill. I called all over here and found that the couple of shops that said they would time her didn't have the proper timing meter and told me that they would time it by ear! The most reputable guy whom I like to work with, told me that since he doesn't have the meter anymore he wouldn't attempt it, that's a good honest mechanic, most won't do that.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It actually should be pretty close if he timed it to 5 deg. ATDC via the lumi method. Of course, this is done at 1400 RPM, not 2000 so that does raise a bit of concern.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, to be on the 'safe side' he said he timed the truck 12 degrees at 700rpm and 5 degrees at 2000rpm.
he timed using aluminoscoty type deal from what I remember.

i used to time via lumy and i really enjoyed it.it was very successful.you just need to have this chart,or else it's no good.
@1400 RPM though as mentioned above.

Attachments

• timing.jpg
    timing.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 50

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^little tester similar to coolant testing.

That being said. Im at 9 deg@2k rpm and looooving it!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GAv, if he won't do the timing per your settings how about then driving down and doing it here? Just thinking out loud bud!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F250 I will print that chart out and give it to the guy, thanks !

Al, one of these days I HAVE to make a trip down :). I will also for sure ask him about the different cetane level things, as I use power service to I would assume that would bu,p the level up a bit? And who knows maybe he knows what fuel station keeps there fuel consistant

tex, unfortunately those honest mechanics are very few and faaar between

thanks again evryone for your input:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.