Going back to a C6

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I'm completely torn...

I blew the ZF5 up this morning. Got a line on another zf but my leg (motorcycle accident a long time ago) has been giving me fits.

I'm really really really considering reinstalling the c6 again with the 1345 transfer case instead of the 1356. I've had less issues with the fixed yoke 1345 and its been completely gone though. The c6 has a wide ratio kit in it and a really low stall converter.

If i could only find a spicer box right now since i have to have the rear shaft remade again.

Meh. Maybe i'm getting too old to drive a crazy Ford.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Riding a donorcycle has its plus sides. I really enjoyed that more than 40 years ago but... I don't heal as fast nor as well. Sorry for your bikeing issues that is causing you this trouble but a C6 is easy to drive. Set it and forget it.... I would love to grag gears again but the wifey is shiftless. She can do it but wont anymore. What caused you ZF to open its heart to you....

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Gary, i haven't taken it apart to determine cause of failure. There is a window in the side of the tranny though. The transfer case had started leaking at the rear seal (slip yoke) and i replaced the seal and bushing 6 months ago and it started leaking again a few days before. I just hate the fact that i can't cruise 70 mph at 2K. I was looking for an OD (gear vendors is out of the question), wanted a brown lipe like RDSL but i need my truck back on the road.

As for the motorcycle, I love riding. But i live in a city where i've been rear ended twice in a BIG ORANGE FORD... what is wrong with that picture?

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The c6 has a wide ratio kit in it and a really low stall converter.
QUOTE]

How did you get the shift timing on the C6 to work right with the wide ratio gear kit? I was going to do that but several knowledgable transmission guys told me the wide ratio would not work very well with a Diesel. Without a lot of trial and error to fix the shift timing, the transmission would shift late....and the further the pedal was pushed, the worse it would be....possibly to the point of the Diesel hitting the governor before the transmission shifted.

Dave

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
The c6 has a wide ratio kit in it and a really low stall converter.
QUOTE]

How did you get the shift timing on the C6 to work right with the wide ratio gear kit? I was going to do that but several knowledgable transmission guys told me the wide ratio would not work very well with a Diesel. Without a lot of trial and error to fix the shift timing, the transmission would shift late....and the further the pedal was pushed, the worse it would be....possibly to the point of the Diesel hitting the governor before the transmission shifted.

Dave

No idea! The transmission had the stuff installed on it when i took it out of the donor truck. There's a tag on it, it was built by Hughes. Shifted out GREAT when it was in my truck before i went to the zf5...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Not familiar with the wide ration gear kit,.., What is that? Seems like it would be better for a diesel.

What torque converter does your c6 have?

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
seems like some folks have to make governor adjustments after a wide ratio kit.

I just built a c6 from Broader Performances 500hp kit. good stuff, easy trans to build. Made mine a roller by replacing some thrust washers with needle bearings. The SK6 shift kit from Transgo is good stuff too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ive got a severely wicked form of arthritis ( ankylosing spondylitis ) and my knees are basically gone ( along with all the other joints ) but the nice folks at Ft Wayne Clutch built me a 100% kevlar clutch that is a real wonder because the friction material grabs so well, I can even tow heavy, with a pressure plate that feels like Im driving a standard tranny in a small car. I have this all on a 12 1/4" setup now. if it werent for that clutch, I would have had to swap a slushbox in myself:mad:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Ive got a severely wicked form of arthritis ( ankylosing spondylitis ) and my knees are basically gone ( along with all the other joints ) but the nice folks at Ft Wayne Clutch built me a 100% kevlar clutch that is a real wonder because the friction material grabs so well, I can even tow heavy, with a pressure plate that feels like Im driving a standard tranny in a small car. I have this all on a 12 1/4" setup now. if it werent for that clutch, I would have had to swap a slushbox in myself:mad:

But i guarantee you're not on your clutch as much as i am. My drive to work and school is much like new york city traffic. A red light every other traffic light. My clutch pedal cover is already wearing.... its not even 2 years old.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
But i guarantee you're not on your clutch as much as i am. My drive to work and school is much like new york city traffic. A red light every other traffic light. My clutch pedal cover is already wearing.... its not even 2 years old.
I dont know.. A few weeks ago I was trying to figure out why my truck was looking so tired and I put a pen to it and figured that I had put near 9000 miles on the poor thing just running young'uns around to their various classes during the course of the year. For a guy whos supposed to be retired, I dont sit still much LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online