glow plugs

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
so for those of you who have been following my problems know i have the pump off haha. well i noticed the glow plugs are beru. and now i am curious if those are the ones that tend to swell up. just looking to see what your guys experiance has been with them. figured id put the best ones in while theyre all acessable

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beru are the ones you want. Test them before you drop 100 on new ones. Might not even need them!

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurence guys! they all tested good and close to eachother. one thing off the list! well my wires going to them look pretty ratty. is this something i have to peice up and make myself? or can you buy the harnesses?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can buy them, sometimes.
But if you have a pushbutton setup, just make your own.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
You can buy them, sometimes.
But if you have a pushbutton setup, just make your own.

i do not have a push button set up yet but i was planning on doing thatb here shortly!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just make sure to use big enough wire, and some sort of fuse or circuit breaker in line to the power going to the relay, which I would upgrade also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Motorcarft beru ZD9 is what we use. The autolites and champions swell and burn out very fast. When you say your glow plug harness looks ratty what are you seeing. Its really not important if the white plastic has broken off the connector. Just make sure the connector fits tight on the plug. These are not hot all the time and they may come loose but they normally wont touch a ground and burn the harness. Might want to check the engine main wire harness plug usually found near the passenger side valve cover. Its about 1 inch wide and 3 inches long. See the 2 yellow wires at the end. Usually they start a wire fire because they get corrosion on them in the plug. Then it get hot enough to melt the plug causing the fire. The yellow wires feeds power to the glow plug controller. Find both ends of it and see they are grouped together in one large lug connector. This is a favorite in the electrical fields to run 2 small gauge wires instead of one big wire that handles the load. Look up at all the high voltage cables the power company runs across the country. Many times you see 2 and even 3 wire per run. The wires from Hoover Dam to Cali are 3 wire bundles and carry 500,000 volts. You can't get within 15 feet of them because the voltage will jump that far. Its 9 ft of 66,000 volts and 13 ft for 220,000 volts. Take notes cause I'm gonna test ysa on this tomorrow.

gandalf

Reaction score
Burned yellow wires? Did somebody say burned yellow wires? I FOUND some.

You must be registered for see images attach

These were the power feed for my glow plug controller. I had the older style, located on the driver's side. But, regardless, this is what happened. The only bad result, in my case, was that the glow plugs would not glow, and the engine would not start. I cut these, both sides of the connector, and capped them, cut them also at the controller. I ran a new cable from the starter solenoid to the glow plug controller. It works quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin