Glow plugs

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Hey guys i know i can search for this easily enough. Just dont have much for cell service and dont have a lotta time. It got down to zero last night and yesterday in the am and this morning my truck didnt want to fire right away. Never had much trouble prior to that. It started coughing a bit on start up as it cooled of but how do i test the gp controller to see if its working and or if one or more of the gps are toast. All these parts are no more then a year and half old or so qccording to my bill. All help will be greatly appreciated. Once its warm itll start all day long even after sittin at work for 10 hrs

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
You can test the Glow plugs by removing the cap and touching the tip with a test light, if it lights up they are good, No light = bad.

When I bought my truck the PO had the GP's replaced with in the year, but 2 still went bad and was giving me a hell of a time starting in the cold, I replaced those 2 with the buru/motorcraft zd9 plugs and she fires up every time now. The rest are delphi plugs and I plan on replacing them with the zd9 plugs when I do turbo work.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
So i did the test on each gp with test light. One wouldnt be enough to make the engine not fire up on a cold morning would it? And i used an amp clamp around the controller output to both banks of gp and it only drawks max of 28 amps

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when the plugs die they short to ground, and will fool the test light. With only a 28a draw you have some dead ones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Nope just one dead one, replaced it and it seems to be starting properly again. Hard to tell unless it sits all night in the cold but at this time its not caughing at start ups anymore.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Its funny how just one or two plugs will cause an issue, like I stated above 2 dead GP's and I was SOL with out plugging it in

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
it is really amazing how much it affected everything, was -2 this morning here and started up like she was just running ten min before. glad it was easy.