Glow Plugs

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I guess my controller stuck and fried my glowplugs tried to pull them out and 3 of them are stuck Im guessing swelled, any ideas on how to get them out. :mad:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If you think they are going to break, put the cylinder your working on to top dead center and remove the injector. Some times the glow plugs will coke up and you can get them loose with pb blaster. If they are swelled up good though they will most likely break. Having the piston at top dead center will prevent the tip from falling down into the cylinder. You can then take compressed air and blow into the glow plug hole and the remainder of the plug will come out the injector hole.

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I got one of them out today after soaking it with wd40 and using needlenose vicegrips, but the other 2 are still in, so sprayed some more wd and will wait a couple of days and see what happens I really dont want to break one and have to pull the head. It seems like as soon as I fix one thing something else goes out. I am starting to dislike this diesel.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Soak them down with aero Kroil at least for a day, then work the thing back and forth with the socket till it stops , don't force it, soak some more , When you run out of threads , if still having trouble, order a set of these It gives you something for the plugs to grab onto while backing them out to get leverage to come straight out so they don't wobble and snap off. As you go at all times don't force it, use lots of kroil to soak and plenty of sit time. Time is your friend here, just work it a little bit at a time until you get it free. Once they are all out, get a small bore pistol brush ( about .177 cal ) and clean out the holes before installing new Beru plugs

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I got all the GPs out one of them broke the tip but it was giving me the most trouble so I made sure piston was up and removed injector and after pulling it and seeing that the tip broke off I used air and it blew the broken piece out(thank god) so anyways friday I will buy the new ones and install, but I think I am going to bypass that controller and mount a switch. I think I read somewhere that you cut the purple wire and run it to switch with wire from batt. Is this correct or more to it? Thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Look at the glowplug controller relay behind the aircleaner(looks like a big starter solenoid). There should be a white wire on a small terminal. Take this wire off and tape it. Then hook your new wire where the white wire was, run that into the cab, and hook it to one side of a momentary switch. Hook the other side of the momentary switch to a good ground under the dash. That's it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The 6.9 controller is on the passenger side fender. I believe the 7.3 controller is where your stating. Yes the purple wire. Run a fused wire from the battery, or something, and run it to a switch of your liking. Then run the wire out of the switch back to the post the purple wire was on, and use a small nut to secure it. But will it work with a controller thats already toasted?

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.9 controller is on the passenger side fender. I believe the 7.3 controller is where your stating. Yes the purple wire. Run a fused wire from the battery, or something, and run it to a switch of your liking. Then run the wire out of the switch back to the post the purple wire was on, and use a small nut to secure it. But will it work with a controller thats already toasted?

Now you are talking about the purple wire coming out of the relay correct? Which is located on Pass. side wheel well and the controller is located on rear of engine more on drivers side? If disconnecting the purple wire from relay and running a new wire to switch in cab does that bypass the controller? I guess if nothing else I will chase down wires and figure it out. I do want to bypass the controller, so was wondering if it was the purple wire on relay, and is disconnecting the purple wire all I need to do to that or is there something else on the controller like power going to controller?:dunno

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also I saw the thread on 12v plugs do you guys think I should find something that would limit amount of volts going to plugs once they are on manual switch? I am not sure what type of device would do that any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US