GLow Plugs

osus86diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased new glow plugs today and was wondering if anyone had used champion glow plugs from Napa and if there is anything I need to watch out for with them. Should I return them and get something else or will I be okay with these?

Thanks guys!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Don't put them in your engine! They tend to swell and break (if they don't burn out first)which will ruin your year. Take them back and look for Beru/Motorcraft. You'll probably have to get them online.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
What he said! Also watch pulling the old ones out. If they are anything besides Beru/Motorcraft you may have problems.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said. DON'T USE THEM!!!!

Don't even take them out of the box.

Use the block heater to cold start it until you can get good beru/motorcraft glow plugs.

vmax3_2001

Reaction score
Hey man, go to Ryder Fleet Products and get yourself some ZD9 motorcraft plugs, they are fairly inexpensive I paid $10.83 a piece, not a bad price. The only problem I had was they back ordered them so I had to yell at the service rep to get the supplier to ship them to me. P# W83ZD9

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a IH truck dealer near you, they have the ZD9 motorcraft. At leaste they do in Lima .

osus86diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will head over to the other side of Columbus tomorrow to the international truck shop. I guess convenience isn't always the best answer....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Champion :puke:
Autolite :puke:

:puke: :puke: :puke: There's a long list of inadequate plugs. Beru is best. Period.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I got a bill for 2 Beru's I order through work from my local IH dealer....$63 for two!!!...I just about **** then I was pissed....I paid $42 for 2 last time but the Ford dealers want even more....

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bad glow plugs

On a 1989 7.3 IDI as a maintenance procedure on a perfectly good running truck I put in 8 new accurate diesel glow plugs. after one day the truck no start 30 degrees outside. I put in new relay thinking that the new plugs may have did it in still no start. I checked the plugs 5 out of the 8 new plugs no good. What do you figure happened?

I smashed open the old relay it was worn out but not welded. Who makes a good relay maybe like the gas filled ones on the PSD's? Should I suspect the controller too???

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glow plugs are made for Accurate diesel and sold by them. Go to there web site. They were recommended from this Forum. They calm to be the highest quality. I don't think they are the problem. I have been doing this my whole life and I have never seen a controller burn out a whole set of brand new plugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online