glow plugs not getting hot enough...

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am almost positive that my glow plugs are not getting hot enough to start the engine. it starts only if the block heater is plugged in and even then it takes 5-10 seconds of cranking (and cranking speed is very fast due to new batteries, cables & starter within the last year).

the gp's are getting 9 volts at the connectors - can anyone confirm this is what they are supposed to be getting?
a guy at MWFI in illinois said these plugs should draw 360 amps total and that it could be the controller is wearing out and not allowing the full amount of current to go through. I don't have an amp meter unfortunately, but i do have a spare controller that is only a few years old so i will try putting that on and see if it makes a difference.

has anyone else out there had the same problem? The gp's are "good" according to the 12v tester i have (it lights up when i touch each one) but still not getting hot enough. Could they be testing "good" but really be worn out?

thanks,
Paul

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try jumping the relay manually with a timer set for 10 seconds and if it starts fine then its the controller. The small post by the firewall to ground to enable the relay. You should hear the relay click on when grounded at the proper post, and click off when you undo the wire. If you are just using a piece of wire you might hear it rapid click as it arcs trying to make contact. There are two small posts one is ground and one is controller.

Between the controller and wiring, I've heard 9 or 10 is about right. Not sure how/if the controller reduces voltage load but I've read some people claim it so. I think its just voltage drop from the stock wiring.

I've also heard after several years the BERU glowplugs get worn some and draw less amps and put out less heat.

Many around here seem to love the controller but I prefer my own pushbutton because I can glow them whenever and for as long as I choose. And I am installing a dummy light system to tell when to let go if anyone else tries and a secret kill switch. You can also wire it so you can use both depending on your choice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online