GLOW PLUG TEST

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a digital multimeter in the fall and misplaced the instructions, and I need to knw what setting do I set the meter to for testing plugs? Thanks

Tell 'em Large Marge Sent Ya!!!

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has to be a pretty good one to read ohms that small. Got a $60 from Sears and it wasn't good enough.:mad: A test light is the easiest way to find them. Don't forget to unplug them before you test them.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
has to be a pretty good one to read ohms that small. Got a $60 from Sears and it wasn't good enough.:mad: A test light is the easiest way to find them. Don't forget to unplug them before you test them.

Sure you had it set right?
My $25 one from Walmart will.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it was set right but guy with me did suggest it might be bad leads because I couldn't get it to zero out when i held them together. I might have to check on that. Didn't think about it much at the time but that just isn't right. Just broke out the test light and went with it.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Another dumb ? When ya test using the ohm setting that is testing the continuity right?

Tell 'em Large Marge Sent Ya!!!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Different setting.
You're testing the resistance.
But you could probably use that.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
continuity will let you know you have a good connection and no breaks in a circuit, you want to use ohms, then you will know for a fact if the glow plug is good or bad

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
any heating element can be tested by continuity, only thing is with a glow plug you may have one that is almost bad and it test good with continuity. when a glow plug goes bad it normally shorts open, so there would be a break in the circuit

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, but that is why i said you should check with ohms, then you know if its good or bad and not well it might still be ok

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most heating elements change resistance over time. I have to assume a GP would as well. X2 or 3 or 4 (lost track) on measuring the resistance. It could be way out of spec and still read continuity.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Isn't the better way to test them is to apply 12V from the battery for no more than 4 or 5 seconds to see if the actually glow?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to do that with them installed. If you had them out I guess that's the sure fire way to be certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online